Internal Controls Seminar
Thursday, May 9, 2019, 8:30 AM–4:30 PM
Radisson Hotel and Conference Center, 200 S. Bell School Road, Rockford, Illinois 61108 Map »
- Members $125.00 Before May 2, 2019 $135.00 Between May 2, 2019 and May 8, 2019
- Government / Partner Colleagues $125.00 Before May 2, 2019 $135.00 Between May 2, 2019 and May 8, 2019
- Non-members $125.00 Before May 2, 2019 $135.00 Between May 2, 2019 and May 8, 2019
A strong system of internal controls is not only a deterrent to fraud but also supports greater efficiency and legal compliance within the government business function. This seminar addresses the importance of internal controls as defined through the COSO framework. It equips the participant to understand the components of a superior system and how to apply these principles to improve the current control environment within their organization. The seminar is organized around the five interrelated components of COSO: control environment, risk assessment, control activities, information and communication and monitoring and will specifically address issues of separation of duties and controls implementation related to accounts payable/cash disbursements, cash receipts, payroll and capital spending including procurement and receiving. The seminar is presented in lecture, panel discussion and workshop formats.
Anthony Cervini, CPA, CFE Partner, Sikich LLP
Mary O’Connor, ASA, CFE Partner, Forensic and Valuation Services, Sikich LLP
Jodie Hartman, Director of Finance, Village of Lake Zurich
Lise Valentine, Ph.D., CPA, CIA, CIGA, Deputy Inspector General, City of Chicago Office of Inspector General (OIG)
Learning Objectives: Participants completing this session will be able to:
• Define internal control and understand the five components of an effective internal control system. • Enhance your control documentation over significant transaction classes by using COSO as a guide to the internal control framework. • Understand the principle of separation of duties and the functions it means to separate. • Understand risk assessment and the role of the finance and management professionals and elected officials in the process. • Develop a monitoring plan using internal audit concepts. • Work with other local government finance professionals to apply COSO standards to your government’s current control system.
Intended Audience: Finance Professionals
Delivery Method: Group-Live
Program Level: Overview
Prerequisites: No prerequisites required
Advanced Preparation: No advanced preparation required
Field of Study: Auditing (Governmental) - Technical
Earn About 8.0 CPE credit
Radisson Hotel and Conference Center Rockford
200 S. Bell School Road
Rockford, IL 61108
IGFOA reserves the right to modify the agendas and/or speakers, cancel the trainings due to low enrollment, or to close registration if full.
CPE hours: 8.00
For more information
Registration and cancellation policy
By submitting this registration, the applicant agrees to the registration and cancellation policy below.
Registrations are accepted on a first-in, first registered basis. Payments by check should be mailed in advance or made at time of registration by credit card.
Cancellation of an event registration is subject to the following policy:
• No refunds will be given for cancellations the day of the event and no shows.
• For IGFOA event registration cancellations five (5) business days or more prior to an event, refunds will be offset by a $20 cancellation fee.
• For IGFOA event registration cancellations within five (5) business days of the training, refunds will be offset by a cancellation fee of 50% of the registration fee.
• A substitute attendee may be designated provided that the payment has been made and the IGFOA office has been notified in advance.
• A written request for a refund must be emailed to the IGFOA prior to the event.
IGFOA reserves the right to modify the agenda and/or speakers, cancel the training due to low enrollment, or to close registration if full.
If you have questions about your membership, contact IGFOA at 630-942-6587. The IGFOA reserves the right to apply the non-member fee to any individual or government that has not paid dues for the current year.
Should IGFOA cancel an event, cancellation notice will be sent to the email address provided by each registrant and prominently posted at the IGFOA website page announcing the event.
By submitting this registration, the applicant agrees to the registration and cancellation policy above.
Approved by the National Registry of CPE Sponsors
Illinois Government Finance Officers Association is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State Boards of Accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.