Accounting Supervisor | Village of Lake Zurich, Illinois
Posted on Aug 9, 2019 and will remain open until filled.
The Village of Lake Zurich, Illinois (19,631) is currently accepting applications for the next Accounting Supervisor.
Lake Zurich is located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago approximately 25 miles from O’Hare International Airport and the City of Chicago. Incorporated in 1896, the Village is part of a growing Lake County, which saw its 2010 population increase to more than 700,000 residents. The Village is an established residential community, which traditionally served as a market center for surrounding rural areas and, earlier in the 20th century, as a popular summer resort. In more recent times, commercial development along the Village’s U.S. Route 12 (Rand Road) corridor and an expanding corporate park have reinforced Lake Zurich’s status as a regional center for SW Lake County. Lake Zurich’s population has more than quadrupled since 1960, as the Village has shared in the economic growth that has come from an expanding Chicago metropolitan area. Lake Zurich has developed into a community with above-average wealth and housing values, and has a balanced tax and revenue base. The Village is known for its excellent schools and abundant recreational opportunities for its residents.
The Village of Lake Zurich is a non-home rule, AAA-rated community governed by a Village President and six Trustees elected at large, in non-partisan elections for overlapping four year terms. The Village Board is the legislative body of Village government and establishes policy, approves all ordinances and resolutions, and approves the annual budget. The Village has a FY 2019 (January 1, 2019-December 31, 2019) total budget of $55M and a general fund budget of $29M. The FY19 budget includes 156 full-time, 11 part-time and over 126 seasonal employees.
- Village Manager’s Office
- Community Development Department
- Fire Department
- Police Department
- Parks and Recreation Department
- Public Works Department
- Finance Department. Finance functions include budgeting, employee payroll, accounts payable, utility billing, accounting, and Village Hall reception. The Department takes a lead in creating the annual Village budget and CAFR as well as managing the Village’s three TIF Districts and promoting long-term fiscal sustainability. Finance consists of 6 FTE’s.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Accounting or related field.
- Three or more years progressively responsible related experience in governmental accounting.
- Three or more years supervisory experience, or any combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- CPA beneficial but not required.
In addition, the Village seeks an Accounting Supervisor that possesses the following characteristics:
- An open communication style that will promote confidence and trust both internally and externally.
- An independent initiative drive that challenges old ideas and inspires new perspectives.
- A collaborative style and willingness to partner with the individual departments, finance staff, residents, and local businesses.
- Commitment to ethics and integrity in professional and politically neutral government administration.
- Fiscally astute individual with strong project management capabilities.
Listed below are some examples of the responsibilities for this position.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, supervise, and direct assigned staff in the daily operations of various finance activities including, but not limited to, accounting, payroll, utility billing, cash receipts, and customer service.
- Develop and implement financial policies and procedures.
- Performs audit responsibilities including preparation of work papers; monitors fixed asset accounting procedures.
- Oversee payroll processing including review and approval, perform back-up responsibilities, prepare journal entries, and approves W-2's.
- Maintain General Ledger including review and reconciliation of various accounts; creates journals to maintain and update General Ledger.
- Resolve banking issues related to assigned finance functions.
- Prepare year-end entries, reconciliations, and reports; work with external auditors.
- Investigate, resolve, address, and/or respond to issues, complaints or inquiries from within the Village; respond to requests for service or assistance.
- Provide staff with tactical and strategic direction.
- Set staff work priorities; create work schedules; provide training; conduct performance evaluations; reward and/or discipline employees.
Starting base salary range for the position is $66,000 - $79, 000 +/- DOQ. The Village offers a full range of benefits, including IMRF, health, dental, 457 plans, flex spending, paid vacation, sick and holiday time. The appointment salary is dependent upon qualifications.
Resumes received by August 30, 2019, will be reviewed by an internal review team. A select group of candidates with superior qualifications will be invited for in-person interviews. References will not be contacted until finalists have been selected.
The Village of Lake Zurich is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.
Additional information regarding this opportunity and the Village of Lake Zurich can be obtained by visiting the Village’s website at www.lakezurich.org.
Village of Lake Zurich, Illinois
70 E. Main St.
Lake Zurich, IL 60047
How to apply
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries can be directed to the Human Resources Division at (847) 540-1692.
First review of applications will occur on Friday, August 30, 2019.
|Village of Lake Zurich, Illinois
|Lake Zurich, IL|
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.