IGFOA Debt Institute
Thursday, October 8, 2015, 9:00 AM–4:00 PM
Doubletree Suites Hotel and Conference Center
2111 Butterfield Road
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Map and directions
- Members $ 180.00 Before Oct 1, 2015 $ 215.00 Between Oct 1, 2015 and Oct 8, 2015 Members $ 215.00
- Government / Partner Colleagues $ 220.00 Before Oct 1, 2015 $ 260.00 Between Oct 1, 2015 and Oct 8, 2015 Government / Partner Colleagues $ 260.00
- Non-members $ 275.00 Before Oct 1, 2015 $ 320.00 Between Oct 1, 2015 and Oct 8, 2015 Non-members $ 320.00
Registration for this event has closed.
Join us for the IGFOA's Third Annual Debt Institute, a full day of learning designed for finance directors and professional staff.
The morning session will consist of an Advanced Academy level curriculum, with a particular focus on GFOA Best Practices in Debt Management. We will also discuss what to expect from your financing team, including your financial advisor, underwriter, bond counsel, bond registrar, paying agent, and escrow agent. We will cover bond rating criteria and what you need to know to analyze the results of a bond pricing.
The afternoon session will be devoted to Hot Topics, including the tools needed for an effective refunding analysis, a market update, a legislative update (including information related to the pending tax freeze and tax caps on home-rule units), emerging rules related to primary and secondary market disclosure, and post-issuance tax compliance (including the recent wave of IRS audits of build America bonds.)
In this fast-paced, interactive Institute, a team of seasoned professionals will be available to answer your questions and provide you with new insights regarding best practices and the ever-changing and increasingly complex environment for debt issuance.
Intended Audience: Finance Directors, Managers, Administrators, Accountants, Assistant Managers, Assistant Finance Directors, and professional staff and officials interested in local government debt management.
Learning Objectives - Participants completing this seminar should be able to:
- Delve into the GFOA best practices in debt management. Also learn when it might be appropriate to deviate from those best practices.
- Gain an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of your financial advisor, underwriter, bond counsel, bond registrar, paying agent, and escrow agent in a bond financing.
- Learn how to effectively analyze the numbers behind a bond refunding and the results of a bond pricing.
- Appreciate the increasingly regulatory environment related to IRS and SEC oversight of debt financings.
- Learn about rating criteria and how bond ratings are being affected by current Illinois affairs.
- Obtain a market update and learn the latest from Springfield with a legislative update.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE AGENDA
Session Topics Include:
* A Review of GFOA Best Practices in Debt Management
* When is it Appropriate to Deviate from Best Practices?
* What to Expect From Your Financial Advisor, Underwriter and Bond Counsel
* What to Expect from Your Bond Registrar, Paying Agent, Escrow Agent
* What You Need to Know to Analyze the Results of a Bond Pricing
* Bond Rating Criteria
* Refundings: Tools and Questions for an Effective Refunding Analysis
* Post-Issuance Tax Compliance/Private Use and Private Payments/VCAP
* Official Statements and Primary Disclosure/SEC Enforcement Actions
* Continuing Disclosure and MCDC Update
* Market Update
* Bond Ratings in Illinois
* Legislative Update
Delivery method: Group-Live
Program Level: Overview
Advanced Preparation: No advanced preparation required
Field of Study: Finance
CPE Credit: Earn about 6.5 CPE credit
CPE hours: 6.50
For more information
Registration and cancellation policy
Registrations are accepted on a first-in, first registered basis. Payments by check should be mailed in advance or made at time of registration by credit card.
IGFOA Members are those individuals from the Public Sector, Partner, and Individual Firm specifically listed in the IGFOA Membership Directory. IGFOA Government staff member rate applies to staff, appointed officials, and elected officials of a government with a current IGFOA membership. If you have questions about your membership, contact IGFOA at 630-942-6587. The IGFOA reserves the right to apply the non-member fee to any individual or government that has not paid dues for the current year. If you are unable to attend, please contact IGFOA at 630-942-6587 or firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. A $20 cancellation fee will be charged for cancellations up to October 1, 2015. Cancellations after October 1, 2015 and no-shows are responsible for the full tuition.
IGFOA reserves the right to modify the agenda, cancel the event due to low enrollment, or to close registration if full. Should IGFOA cancel an event, cancellation notice will be sent to the email address provided by each registrant and prominently posted at the IGFOA website page announcing the event. By submitting this registration, the applicant agrees to the registration and cancellation policy above.
If you have any questions regarding this seminar, cancellations, complaints, or refunds, please contact the IGFOA at 630-942-6587 or email@example.com.
Approved by the National Registry of CPE Sponsors
Illinois Government Finance Officers Association is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State Boards of Accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.