Friday, October 21, 2016, 8:25 AM–2:00 PM
NIU Naperville Campus, Room 261
1120 E. Diehl Road
Map and directions
- Members $ 75.00 Before Oct 15, 2016 $ 100.00 Between Oct 15, 2016 and Oct 21, 2016 Members $ 100.00
- Government / Partner Colleagues $ 75.00 Before Oct 15, 2016 $ 125.00 Between Oct 15, 2016 and Oct 21, 2016 Government / Partner Colleagues $ 125.00
- Non-members $ 100.00 Before Oct 15, 2016 $ 150.00 Between Oct 15, 2016 and Oct 21, 2016 Non-members $ 150.00
Registration for this event has closed.
Plan to attend the 2016 Payroll Seminar for four sessions which includes an update on the latest requirements for IRS forms 1094 & 1095 for 2016. Other topics at this training related to payroll will be internal controls, workers compensation, FMLA, and voluntary payroll deductions. There will be networking opportunities and a luncheon provided as well. During the networking parts of this seminar we will include time for a knowledge exchange so attendees can help other peers in the industry with any payroll challenges and success stories experienced. It will be a great way to connect and learn from each another!
Intended Audience: Finance Professionals and staff involved in the payroll process
Bill Sarb, Audit Manager, RSM US LLP
FMLA & Voluntary Deductions:
Nadine Alletto, Director of Finance, Village of Woodridge
Amanda Meierdirk, Payroll, Village of Woodridge
IRS Forms 1094 & 1095:
Karen Sanchez, Partner-in-Charge Employee Benefits, Sikich LLP
Matt Stickelmaier, National Sales Director, Alternative Service Concepts, LLC
Kathlyn Dibble, Claims Adjuster, Alternative Service Concepts, LLC
Quinn Brennan, Partner, Hennessy & Roach
Description and Learning Objectives - Participants completing this seminar should be able to:
- Internal Controls: This session will focus on payroll functions adhering to the three A’s of payroll: accountability, authorization, and approval principles. Understanding how to execute and be responsible for these internal control principals will be the key takeaway from this session.
- FMLA & Voluntary Deductions: This session is a two part session focusing on the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) from a payroll perspective and an overview of payroll voluntary deductions.
Part I: FMLA
FMLA can be complex to administer and payroll staff is often given the responsibility of determining leave eligibility along with payment. This session will review those FMLA “gray areas” where it is difficult to determine eligibility and payment of FLMA. A scenario review will be provided as well.
Part II: Payroll Voluntary Deductions
Voluntary deductions are those that you offer and your employees accept (such deductions may include but is not limited to health insurance, retirement plans, flex spending accounts, union dues, etc.) Understanding of each voluntary deduction being pre-tax versus after-tax deduction will be a key takeaway from this session.
- IRS Forms 1094 & 1095: The Affordable Care Act (ACA) has resulted in a host of changes for the compliance reporting requirements of employers. After filing new IRS Forms 1094 & 1095 for the first time in 2015, this session will help clarify common misunderstandings for the upcoming 2016 tax reporting year.
- Workers Compensation: When an employee is injured at work, Workers’ Compensation benefits are available to cover lost wages and medical cost related to the injury. This session will focus on assisting payroll staff in determining how to make the right decisions in the claims handling process for payment. A look at different claim situations will be reviewed.
Delivery method: Group-Live
Program Level: Update
Prerequisites: No prerequisites required
Advanced Preparation: No advanced preparation required
Field of Study: Business Management and Organization
CPE Credits: Earn about 5.0 CPE credits
Check-in: 8:00 - 8:25 AM
Seminar: 8:25 AM - 2:00 PM
CPE hours: 5.00
For more information
Registration and cancellation policy
- Registrations are accepted on a first-in, first registered basis
- Payment must be mailed in advance or made by credit card at the time of registration
- IGFOA Members are those individuals specifically listed in the IGFOA Membership Application or Renewal. IGFOA Government non-member rate applies to staff, appointed officials, and elected officials of a government with a current IGFOA membership
- IGFOA reserves the right to apply non-member fee to any individual that has not paid dues for the current year
- If you are unable to attend, please contact IGFOA at 630-942-6587 or email@example.com as soon as possible
- A $20 cancellation fee will be charged for cancellations up to October 14, 2016. Cancellations after October 14, 2016 and no-shows are responsible for the full tuition.
- IGFOA reserves the right to modify the agenda and/or speakers, cancel the training due to low enrollment, or to close registration if full
- Should IGFOA cancel an event, cancellation notice will be sent to the email address provided by each registrant and prominently posted at the IGFOA website page announcing the event
If you have any questions regarding this seminar, cancellations, complaints, or refunds, please contact the IGFOA at 630-942-6587 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approved by the National Registry of CPE Sponsors
Illinois Government Finance Officers Association is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State Boards of Accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.