Control is Everything: Building a Strong System of Internal Controls in Your Government
Thursday, April 21, 2016, 8:30 AM–4:30 PM
1120 E. Diehl Road
Naperville, IL 60563
Map and directions
- Members $ 140.00 Before Apr 14, 2016 $ 155.00 Between Apr 14, 2016 and Apr 21, 2016 Members $ 155.00
- Government / Partner Colleagues $ 155.00 Before Apr 14, 2016 $ 170.00 Between Apr 14, 2016 and Apr 21, 2016 Government / Partner Colleagues $ 170.00
- Non-members $ 170.00 Before Apr 14, 2016 $ 185.00 Between Apr 14, 2016 and Apr 21, 2016 Non-members $ 185.00
Registration for this event has closed.
A strong system of internal controls is not only a deterrent to fraud but also supports greater efficiency and legal compliance within the government business function. This seminar addresses the importance of internal controls through the COSO/GAO Green Book lens. It equips the participant to understand the components of a superior system and how to apply these principles to improve the current control environment within their organization. The seminar is organized around the five interrelated components of COSO: control environment, risk assessment, control activities, information and communication and monitoring and will specifically address issues of separation of duties and controls implementation related to accounts payable/cash disbursements, cash receipts, payroll and capital spending including procurement and receiving. The seminar is presented in lecture, panel discussion and workshop formats.
Learning Objectives: Participants completing this session will be able to:
• Define internal control and understand the five components of an effective internal control system.
• Enhance your control documentation over significant transaction classes by using COSO and the GAO Green Book as a guide to the internal control framework.
• Understand the principle of separation of duties and the functions it means to separate.
• Understand risk assessment and the role of the finance and management professionals and elected officials in the process.
• Develop a monitoring plan using internal audit concepts.
• Work with other local government finance professionals to apply COSO and the GAO Green Book standards to your government’s current control system.
Delivery method: Group-Live
Program Level: Overview
Prerequisites: No prerequisites required
Advanced Preparation: No advanced preparation required
Field of Study: Accounting (Governmental)
Earn about 7.5 CPE Credits
Intended Audience: This seminar is geared to Finance Directors, Assistant Finance Directors, Managers, and Supervisors.
Anthony Cervini, CPA, Sikich LLP
Duffy Blackburn, CPA, CFE, CISA County Auditor, Will County, Illinois
Amy Folden, CPA, CSRM, MBA, Elgin Community College
Jodie Hartman, Director of Finance , Village of Lake Zurich
Mary O’Connor, ASA, CFE Partner, Dispute Advisory Services, Sikich LLP
Check-in and Continental Breakfast is from 8:00 - 8:30 AM. Seminar materials, breaks, and lunch will be provided.
IGFOA reserves the right to modify the agendas and/or speakers, cancel the trainings due to low enrollment, or to close registration if full.
Courtyard by Marriott
1155 East Diehl Road
Naperville, IL 60563
800-321-2211 - ask for Courtyard Chicago Naperville and the Northern Illinois University Rate of $99 for the dates April 20 & 21
www.marriott.com - Reservations on-line use the NIU Rate Code: King - NIUJ and Queen Queen - NIUK
For other hotel accommodations visit, http://www.niu.edu/conferenceCenters/naperville/service_amenities/hotel_info/naperville_hotel_map_web.pdf
and request if they have a discount rate for attendees of events at NIU Naperville.
CPE hours: 7.50
For more information
Registration and cancellation policy
- Registrations are accepted on a first-in, first registered basis
- Payment must be mailed in advance or made by credit card at the time of registration
- IGFOA Members are those individuals specifically listed in the IGFOA Membership Application or Renewal. IGFOA Government non-member rate applies to staff, appointed officials, and elected officials of a government with a current IGFOA membership
- IGFOA reserves the right to apply non-member fee to any individual that has not paid dues for the current year
- If you are unable to attend, please contact IGFOA at 630-942-6587 or email@example.com as soon as possible
- A $20 cancellation fee will be charged for cancellations up to April 14, 2016. Cancellations after April 14, 2016 and no-shows are responsible for the full tuition.
- IGFOA reserves the right to modify the agenda and/or speakers, cancel the training due to low enrollment, or to close registration if full
- Should IGFOA cancel an event, cancellation notice will be sent to the email address provided by each registrant and prominently posted at the IGFOA website page announcing the event
If you have any questions regarding this seminar, cancellations, complaints, or refunds, please contact the IGFOA at 630-942-6587 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approved by the National Registry of CPE Sponsors
Illinois Government Finance Officers Association is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State Boards of Accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.