Governmental Accounting and Financial Reporting
Thursday, October 19, 2017–Friday, October 20, 2017
Online registration is not available for this event.
SESSION DESCRIPTION: Participants will learn the theory behind accounting principles and the fundamentals of fund accounting and financial reporting for local governments. This seminar will provide participants with a solid knowledge of the basics of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in the governmental accounting environment and how to apply those standards to the City of Chicago. Emphasis will be placed on understanding both the theory behind the principles as well as the practical application and implementation of those principles.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Participants completing this seminar should be able to:
- Understand the theories which establish accounting principles
- Recognize and manipulate key accounting tools such as the Chart of Accounts
- Comprehend governmental accounting terminology
- Identify the links between budgeting and accounting
- Develop an understanding of the twelve basic principles of generally accepted accounting principles in the governmental accounting environment
- Understand the convergence of budgets and reporting
- Acquire insight into governmental fund revenue recognition for exchange and non-exchange transactions, expenditure recognition for fund liabilities and expense liabilities for governmental activities
- Learn debt service and capital debt accounting, including accounting for refunding transactions
- Understand capital asset accounting and reporting requirements
- Understand the differences in accounting for proprietary funds
Frederick G. Lantz, CPA Partner-in-Charge, Government Services, Sikich, LLP
Bill Hannah, Finance Director/Treasurer, Village of North Aurora; Treasurer IGFOA and Executive Board Liaison to the Technical Accounting Review Committee
DELIVERY METHOD: Group Live
PROGRAM LEVEL: Basic and Intermediate
PREREQUISITES: No prerequisites required
ADVANCED PREPARATION: No advanced preparation required
FIELD OF STUDY: Accounting (Governmental) - Technical
CPE CREDIT: Earn about 14 hours CPE credit
CPE hours: 14.00
For more information
Registration and cancellation policy
If you are unable to attend, please contact IGFOA at 630-942-6587 or email@example.com as soon as possible. A $20 cancellation fee will be charged for cancellations up to October 19, 2017. Cancellations after October 19, 2017 and no-shows are responsible for the full tuition.
IGFOA reserves the right to modify the agenda, cancel the event due to low enrollment, or to close registration if full. Should IGFOA cancel an event, cancellation notice will be sent to the email address provided by each registrant and prominently posted at the IGFOA website page announcing the event. By submitting this registration, the applicant agrees to the registration and cancellation policy above.