Control is Everything: Building a Strong System of Internal Controls in Your Government
Thursday, April 12, 2018, 8:30 AM–4:30 PM
1120 E. Diehl Road
Naperville, IL 60563
Map and directions
- Members $ 125.00 Before Apr 7, 2018 $ 135.00 Between Apr 7, 2018 and Apr 12, 2018 Members $ 135.00
- Government / Partner Colleagues $ 130.00 Before Apr 7, 2018 $ 140.00 Between Apr 7, 2018 and Apr 12, 2018 Government / Partner Colleagues $ 140.00
- Non-members $ 150.00 Before Apr 7, 2018 $ 160.00 Between Apr 7, 2018 and Apr 12, 2018 Non-members $ 160.00
Registration for this event has closed.
A strong system of internal controls is not only a deterrent to fraud but also supports greater efficiency and legal compliance within the government business function. This seminar addresses the importance of internal controls through the COSO/GAO Green Book lens. It equips the participant to understand the components of a superior system and how to apply these principles to improve the current control environment within their organization.
The seminar is organized around the five interrelated components of COSO: control environment, risk assessment, control activities, information and communication and monitoring and will specifically address issues of separation of duties and controls implementation related to accounts payable/cash disbursements, cash receipts, payroll and capital spending including procurement and receiving. The seminar is presented in lecture, panel discussion and workshop formats.
Anthony Cervini, CPA, Partner, Sikich LLP
Mary O’Connor, ASA, CFE Partner, Forensic and Valuation Services, Sikich LLP
Brian Smith, Assistant Director of Finance, Village of Wheeling
Lise Valentine, Ph.D., CPA, CIA, CIGA, Deputy Inspector General, City of Chicago Office of Inspector General (OIG)
Learning Objectives: Participants completing this session will be able to:
• Define internal control and understand the five components of an effective internal control system.
• Enhance your control documentation over significant transaction classes by using COSO and the GAO Green Book as a guide to the internal control framework.
• Understand the principle of separation of duties and the functions it means to separate.
• Understand risk assessment and the role of the finance and management professionals and elected officials in the process.
• Develop a monitoring plan using internal audit concepts.
• Work with other local government finance professionals to apply COSO and the GAO Green Book standards to your government’s current control system.
Intended Audience: Finance Professionals
Delivery Method: Group-Live
Program Level: Overview
Prerequisites: No prerequisites required
Advanced Preparation: No advanced preparation required
Field of Study: Auditing (Governmental) - Technical
Earn About 7.5 CPE credit
CPE hours: 7.80
For more information
Registration and cancellation policy
Registrations are accepted on a first-in, first registered basis. Payments by check should be mailed in advance or made at time of registration by credit card.
IGFOA Members are those Public Sector and Partner or Associate individuals specifically listed in the IGFOA Membership Application or Renewal. IGFOA Government Member Staff rate applies to staff, appointed officials, and elected officials of a government with a current IGFOA membership. If you have questions about your membership, contact IGFOA at 630-942-6587. The IGFOA reserves the right to apply the non-member fee to any individual or government that has not paid dues for the current year.
If you are unable to attend, please contact IGFOA at 630-942-6587 or email@example.com as soon as possible. A $25 cancellation fee will be charged for cancellations up to April 5, 2018. Cancellations after April 5, 2018 and no-shows are responsible for the full tuition.
IGFOA reserves the right to modify the agenda, cancel the event due to low enrollment, or to close registration if full. Should IGFOA cancel an event, cancellation notice will be sent to the email address provided by each registrant and prominently posted at the IGFOA website page announcing the event. By submitting this registration, the applicant agrees to the registration and cancellation policy above.
Approved by the National Registry of CPE Sponsors
Illinois Government Finance Officers Association is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State Boards of Accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.