Assistant Director of Finance | Fox Valley Park District
Posted on Oct 23, 2020 and will remain open until filled.
The Fox Valley Park District is a dynamic and growing park district that serves a diverse population of more than 233,000 people. Recognized as an Illinois Distinguished Agency, Fox Valley holds the nation’s highest honor as a National Gold Medal Award winner for excellence in park and recreation management. Serving the communities of Aurora, Montgomery and North Aurora, the District maintains 165 parks and 48 miles of interconnected regional trails amid 2,500 acres of parkland. Sharing the shores of the Fox River, our communities are united by the District’s commitment to promote vibrant, healthy lifestyles through fun and safe recreation opportunities that are environmentally and fiscally responsible. The Fox Valley Park District … Where Fun Begins!
The principle function of the Assistant Director of Finance is to perform complex, high-level technical work, directing and managing finance functions in the areas of audit and financial reporting, budgeting, investments, purchasing, payroll and other financial functions. This individual is responsible for the direct supervision of the Finance Accounting Specialist, Accounts Payable Clerk, Payroll Specialist, Accounting Assistant and Guest Service Staff at the Cole Administration Office. This is an exempt, at will position.
Works under the supervision of the Director of Finance
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the direct supervision of payroll, accounts payable, purchasing, compliance accounting and guest services functions
- Provide direct oversight and management of the District’s annual budget process, the five-year capital improvement plan and the long-term financial forecast, including preparation of the budget document for submission for the GFOA Distinguished Budget Award. Assist in preparing the Budget and Appropriation ordinances
- Assist the Director of Finance with the tax levy, including the tax levy ordinance and preparation of the Truth in Taxation documents
- Responsible for preparation and coordination of the annual financial audit with the independent audit firm. Prepare necessary year end accrual workpapers related to accounts payable, accrued payroll, and interest receivable. Work with auditors on annual audit. Prepare interest income schedules and others schedules as related to the position’s scope of responsibilities
- Develop accounting procedures, recommend accounting policies and update as needed
- Responsible for all phases of cash management to maintain accurate balances of cash on deposit in all bank accounts and funds
- Compile and provide monthly reporting related to investment performance and allocation, monthly membership revenues and counts, daily facility membership scans, and financial reports by fund
- Prepare the monthly financial report for submittal to managers and to the Director of Finance for review and ultimately preparing the reports for the Board of Commissioners
- Prepare monthly investment rollforwards (3) as reviewed by the Director of Finance and post the monthly activity to reconcile the General Ledger to the rollforward
- Prepare Bank Reconciliations for all accounts (10) and process bank transfers. Maintain accurate balances of cash on deposit in Orchard Valley Golf Course, Orchard Valley Capital Expense, Foundation bank accounts and other accounts as assigned
- Process ACH transfers with a dual control system for contracted service providers, bond payments and other payroll related payments
- Oversee the maintenance of employee payroll records. Implement changes in payroll program due to new policies and/or benefits
- Responsible for the oversight of the month end closing of the various computer accounting systems, i.e. RecTrac and Munis. Prepare month-end adjusting entries and G/L closing
- Responsible for all year-end tax related documents (ie- W-2’s, 1095’s, 1099’s)
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate assigned full-time and part-time employees
- Monitor staff performance, take appropriate disciplinary action when needed, and complete staff evaluations for regular employees annually
- Review all state and federal tax reports, unemployment insurance and IMRF
- Keep current with labor, IMRF and tax regulations and how they must be implemented with our bookkeeping system
- Interpret, implement, and enforce all Park District policies and procedures
- Maintain excellent inter-departmental communication within the District through verbal and written means
- Assist Department Heads and Managers in establishing and maintaining G/L accounts on computer accounting system. Coordinate revenue account numbers with payroll and expense line items for Recreation Programs
- Prepare and enter monthly GL entries to clear all negative cash balances
Attend District-sponsored events or meetings, as required
Attend seminars, workshops and training sessions related to position
Education and Experience
The Assistant Director of Finance will possess six to eight (6-8) years of experience in governmental accounting with previous management experience. A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a closely related field is required. MBA or CPA is preferred
Experience with cash management, accounts payable, auditing practices, budgeting, purchasing, payroll processing, taxes, investments, and an extensive knowledge of accounting is required. Must have the ability to understand and be proficient with financial applications. Analytical skills, both financial and operational, are required
Must have a valid Illinois Driver’s License and be able to provide own transportation
Data Utilization – Requires the ability to perform high level data analysis including the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize and/or reference data and/or guidelines and/or group, rank, investigate and diagnose. Requires discretion in determining and referencing such to established standards to recognize interactive effects and relationships.
Human Interaction – Requires the ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others, such as co-workers, staff, and the public, on how to apply policies, procedures, and standards to specific situations.
Verbal Aptitude – Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference and descriptive data and information such as policies, procedures, reports, records, correspondence, forms, requisitions, purchase orders, notifications, permits, invoices, and general operating manuals.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools and Materials Utilization – Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or provide simple but continuous adjustment on equipment, machinery and tools such as a computer and other office machines, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
Mathematical Aptitude – Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to calculate percentages and decimals.
Functional Reasoning – Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems. Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic or schedule form. Ability to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objective.
Situational Reasoning – Requires the ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness, and creativity required in situations involving the evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
Equipment Used Multi-line phones; personal computer including the Office 365 Suite, Munis Financial Software, RecTrac, Kronos Timekeeping, other various software; printers, and copy machine.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
$85,000 +/- Depending on Qualifications
Selection Guidelines Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview and reference check, job related tests may be required.
Fox Valley Park District
101 W. Illinois Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
How to apply
How to Apply
To apply please complete an online employment application at www.foxvalleyparkdistrict.org
|Fox Valley Park District
Assistant Director of Finance
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.