Budget and Revenue Officer | City of Decatur
Posted on Nov 20, 2020 and will remain open until filled.
Under direction of the City Treasurer & Director of Finance, serves as budget and revenue officer for the city with responsibilities to prepare the City Manager’s annual budget of the city, working with Department Heads and subordinate staff, including all revenues and operating expenditures of city funds and departmental operations; serves as the city official responsible for understanding of, projection of, and forecasting of revenues of the city. Performs periodic financial reports and analysis to ensure monitoring of financial trends versus the annual budget, forecasts, and projections. In cooperation with the City Comptroller, is jointly responsible for preparation of necessary financial schedules to affect annual report transition from cash basis accounting to modified and full accrual annual financial reports. Responsible for the preparation of annual and periodic financial reports to Federal, State, and other competent authority. Provides financial planning and financial monitoring for all city operations. Serves as tax compliance officer for the city for locally imposed and collected city taxes.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position).
1. Responsible for the coordination of all activities required in the development and preparation of the annual city budget.
2. Responsible for ongoing financial analysis of actual revenue and expenditure monitoring versus the annual city budget.
3. Responsible for the development, projection, analysis, and ongoing review of all city revenue streams and monitoring of same versus the annual city budget.
4. Responsible for the coordination and preparation of all activities in the development and preparation of city long range financial plans.
5. Responsible for the preparation of the City Treasurer’s Financial Report prepared on a monthly basis and distributed to City Council, City Manager, and City Department Staff, and available for city stakeholders.
6. Responsible for the preparation of annual financial reports and other periodic financial reports published to city stakeholders and state and county governmental units as dictated by State of Illinois Statutes.
7. Responsible for the ongoing tax compliance activities for locally imposed hotel/motel, food & beverage, local motor fuel and other locally imposed taxes, including tax compliance reporting, monitoring, collection, and periodic audit of relevant taxpayers.
8. Responsible for all accounting, general ledger and sub ledger recording activities for all city fixed-asset transactions and maintenance of the city fixed asset register.
9. In close conjunction with the City Treasurer & Director of Finance, provide the financial analytical support and analysis required for preparation of all city annual financial reports, including the City Annual Financial Report (Comprehensive Annual Financial Report “CAFR”), Annual Treasurers Report, and State of Illinois Annual Financial Report. These reports are published to the State of Illinois and County of Macon as required by statutes, and to financial stakeholders of the City of Decatur.
10. In close conjunction with the City Treasurer & Director of Finance and the City Comptroller, is jointly responsible for the annual financial audit, including audit work paper submission and compliance to audit review as required by the city independent auditors.
11. In close conjunction with the City Treasurer & Director of Finance, is jointly responsible for the preparation of ordinances and resolutions of a financial nature for adoption by the City Council.
12. Serves as advisor supporting the City Treasurer & Director of Finance in all business process matters concerning back office process re-engineering.
13. When so designated, serves as acting chief fiscal officer of the city during office absence of the City Treasurer & Director of Finance.
14. Manages staff, provides supervisory guidance to direct reports when acting as Director of Finance, and performs all required functions as required by city management and human resources practices, policy, and procedures.
15. Responsible for the financial tracking of TIF and redevelopment liabilities and payments.
16. Responsible for having a working knowledge of city administrative policy, city financial policy, and human resources policy and procedures of such.
17. Performs other work and special projects at the direction of the City Treasurer & Director of Finance.
Knowledge & Skills
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. Professional work experience of 5 to 7 years in accounting, with 2 years responsible experience in governmental accounting practices and procedures.
2. Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (“ERP”) software applications, with demonstrated knowledge of same. Experience with monthly and annual fiscal period closings and the methods and techniques of professional accounting and auditing.
3. Thorough knowledge of fund balance accounting, cash and accrual basis financial accounting principles and techniques.
4. Knowledge of State of Illinois statutes and City ordinances regarding financial procedures and issues.
5. Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to make well thought out decisions with little or no supervision.
6. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint and a working knowledge of other Microsoft Office software applications.
7. Demonstrated skill in managing, supervising, directing, mentoring, reviewing, and evaluating direct reporting and other departmental staff.
8. Skill in communicating clearly and effectively, both orally and in written form.
9. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with City officials, City employees, business owners and their representatives, the general public, taxpayers, and stakeholders of the City.
Residency must be established within the corporate limits of the City of Decatur within six (6) months of appointment.
City of Decatur
One Gary K. Anderson Plaza
Decatur, IL 62523
How to apply
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
|City of Decatur
Budget and Revenue Officer
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.