Illinois Government Finance Officers Association Learning Connecting Progressing
Founded in 1958 the IGFOA is the statewide association of government finance professionals.
To promote excellence in governmental finance.
IGFOA provides leadership, education, professional development, peer support, and communication to advocate best practices and advance the competence and effectiveness of local government finance officers in Illinois. As an individual responsible for governmental fiscal policy and management, you’ll find that membership in the Illinois GFOA helps you to improve your knowledge, skills and performance, while offering you the high quality support on which today’s finance officer thrives.
Membership in the Illinois GFOA offers a wide variety of ways for members to stay informed on the full range of government finance issues.
Membership in the Illinois GFOA allows you to connect with fellow finance professionals for sharing knowledge and support.
Membership in the Illinois GFOA allows you to take part in activities which advance the field of government finance.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
Membership includes weekly email newsletter and jobline, 24/7 access to the the on-line Membership Directory, access to the Knowledge Exchange to share queries about practices and challenges, exchange of documents used by government finance professionals in the Knowledge Exchange, the quarterly IGFOA Dispatch newsletter, the Financial Services Directory for lists of firms specializing in services for government finance, discounted seminar and conference fees, chapter membership, advocacy on financial and technical issues of importance to IGFOA members, numerous opportunities for professional skill building and networking and a resource for information on hot topics.
Low Cost Seminars and Webinars
- Take part in basic and advanced courses on topics such as Governmental Accounting, Cash Management, Debt Administration, Budgeting and Capital Planning
- Stay on top of changes in the intricate world of public pensions at the Illinois Public Pension Institute
- Earn Continuing Public Education Credits, average cost of $25 per CPE credit
- IGFOA is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy
Hot Topic Seminars and Webinars
- Get the latest information on new regulations and practices
- Stay on top of new State and Federal regulations and evolving technologies
- Share ideas on current government finance issues and practices
- Further develop technical and management skills
- Hear relevant speakers in sessions on timely issues
- Network with fellow finance professionals
- Members receive a weekly e-newsletter with information ranging from GASB updates to state finance happenings to Internet how-to; and other hot topics in public finance
- Included in the weekly e-newsletter are position announcements. Members can advertise job openings in the newsletter at the member discounted rate
- Quarterly IGFOA Dispatch newsletter delivered to your desk with member updates and information articles about government finance issues and practices.
Chicago Metro, South Metro, Downstate Chapters; and Assistants Networks
- Regional networking, education and information exchange, dues includes primary chapter affiliation
- The searchable on-line directory lists all members, their employers, contact numbers, e-mail addresses, demographics and interests.
- The IGFOA web site includes a Financial Services Directory listing all Partner Firms and their areas of expertise.
- Monitors activities of the Illinois General Assembly and State administrative agencies
- Represents member interests before these bodies and works with other organizations to represent the interests of local governments
Technical Accounting Review Committee
- Monitors and comments on the activities and rulings of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), the rule-setting body for governmental accounting
- Represents members by providing testimony to the GASB on proposed standards
- Educates the Illinois GFOA membership on implementation of those standards
Illinois GFOA Committees
- Additional committees provide an opportunity to get involved in the association and extend knowledge and skills and service
- Other committees include the Professional Education Committee and the Membership Committee
- Active (public sector) members in IGFOA adhere to the GFOA Code of Professional Ethics.