Finance Director | Village of Lake Zurich, Illinois
Posted on Oct 21, 2019 and will remain open until filled.
The Village of Lake Zurich, Illinois (19,631) is currently accepting applications for our next Finance Director.
Lake Zurich is located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago approximately 25 miles from O’Hare International Airport and the City of Chicago. Incorporated in 1896, the Village is part of a growing Lake County, which saw its 2010 population increase to more than 700,000 residents. The Village is an established residential community, which traditionally served as a market center for surrounding rural areas and, earlier in the 20th century, as a popular summer resort. In more recent times, commercial development along the Village’s U.S. Route 12 (Rand Road) corridor and an expanding corporate park have reinforced Lake Zurich’s status as a regional center for SW Lake County. Lake Zurich’s population has more than quadrupled since 1960, as the Village has shared in the economic growth that has come from an expanding Chicago metropolitan area. Lake Zurich has developed into a community with above-average wealth and housing values, and has a balanced tax and revenue base. The Village is known for its excellent schools and abundant recreational opportunities for its residents.
The Village of Lake Zurich is a non-home rule, AAA-rated community governed by a Village President and six Trustees elected at large, in non-partisan elections for overlapping four-year terms. The Village Board is the legislative body of Village government and establishes policy, approves all ordinances and resolutions, and approves the annual budget. The Village has a FY 2019 (January 1, 2019-December 31, 2019) total budget of $55M and a general fund budget of $29M. The FY19 budget includes 156 full-time, 11 part-time and over 126 seasonal employees.
- Village Manager’s Office
- Community Development Department
- Finance Department
- Fire Department
- Human Resources Department
- Innovation Department
- Police Department
- Parks and Recreation Department
- Public Works Department
The Finance Director will be a vital team member of the Village management team reporting to the Village Manager. The Director will be responsible for providing leadership, expertise, and integrity with a collaborative, customer-centric focus promoting the long-term fiscal sustainability of the Village. Finance consists of 6 FTE’s.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in finance, accounting, public management or related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Eight or more years progressively responsible related experience in governmental accounting.
- Five or more years supervisory experience, or any combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- CPA beneficial but not required.
In addition, the Village seeks a Finance Director that possesses the following characteristics:
- An open communication style that will promote confidence and trust both internally and externally.
- An independent initiative drive that challenges old ideas and inspires new perspectives.
- A collaborative style and willingness to partner with the individual departments, finance staff, residents, and local businesses.
- Commitment to ethics and integrity in professional and politically neutral government administration.
- Fiscally astute individual with strong project management capabilities.
- Strong verbal communication skills that use diplomacy and discretion.
Listed below are some examples of the responsibilities for this position.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, supervise, and direct assigned staff in the daily operations of various finance activities including, but not limited to, accounting, payroll, utility billing, cash receipts, and customer service.
- Develop and implement Village-wide financial policies and procedures.
- Maintain oversight of finance functions and staff for accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, accounting, investments, and cash receipts.
- Forecast the long-term financial strategy of the Village.
- Facilitate capital planning via existing 20-year Community Investment Plan.
- Manage existing debt and investments including three TIF districts.
- Provide financial analysis of Village economic projects.
- Coordinate, prepare, and manage the annual budget.
- Monitor and advise on Village wide expenditures and revenues.
- Prepare comprehensive financial reports and CAFR.
- Lead annual audit preparation and compliance.
- Oversee the purchasing program including the development of bid packages and conducting bid opening
- Participate and engage in community activities
- Build a cohesive, effective team.
Starting base salary range for the position is $112,000 - $140,000 +/- DOQ. The Village offers a full range of benefits, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; IMRF and 457 plans; and paid vacation, sick and holiday time.
A select group of candidates with superior qualifications will be invited for in-person interviews. References will not be contacted until finalists have been selected.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
The Village of Lake Zurich is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.
Additional information regarding this opportunity and the Village of Lake Zurich can be obtained by visiting the Village’s website at www.lakezurich.org.
Village of Lake Zurich, Illinois
70 E. Main St.
Lake Zurich, IL 60047
How to apply
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and five professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries can be directed to the Human Resources Director at (847) 540-1692.
|Village of Lake Zurich, Illinois
|Lake Zurich, IL|
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.