Payroll Accountant | Village of Oak Park
Posted on Oct 28, 2019 and will remain open until filled.
Job Classification: Payroll Accountant
Employment Status: Full-time
Annual Salary/Grade: $75,000 +/- DOQ/Grade 8
Employment Commission: N/A
Deadline for Application: Until position filled
First review of applications November 8,2019
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
To perform a wide variety of responsible and complex administrative and financial duties for the Finance Department; acts as payroll coordinator for the Village payroll system and provides financial and administrative support to the Chief Financial Officer and his/her management staff.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the Chief Financial Officer and or Deputy Chief Financial Officer.
Exercises direct supervision over administrative and accounting support staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES – Essential and other important duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Ensure accurate and timely payroll processing in accordance with State and Federal regulations as they apply to employee’s wages, salaries, bonuses, deductions, and taxes and the enforcement of government garnishments of wages for child support, loan defaults or bankruptcy.
- Coordinate and track employee vacation time, sick time and other paid time off as well as company benefits as they relate to each individual collective bargaining unit and Village personnel policies.
- Work collaboratively with Village departments to ensure the proper recording, entry and management of payroll data.
- Maintain personnel and payroll records; process paperwork for personnel actions including: new hires, change in status, and termination; monitor performance evaluation dates and provide appropriation forms to staff with keeping complete confidentiality of all records.
- Oversee or handle reimbursements for petty cash and complete basic financial reports.
- Complete audit work papers related to year-end payroll accruals, reconcile general ledger wages and payroll taxes to W-3, and calculate accrued vacation and compensating absence balances.
- Maintain, analyze and reconcile a variety of ledgers, reports and account records; examine and correct accounting transactions to ensure accuracy.
- Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise, and review the work of staff; monitor work flow; review, evaluate, and recommend changes in work methods and procedures.
- Establish schedules and methods for accomplishing work objectives, assignments and goals; identify resources needed and review needs with appropriate management staff; allocate resources accordingly.
- Participate in the selection of staff as assigned; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures.
- Monitor budgeted expenditures for overages and assist with quarterly budget amendments.
- Participate in duties relating to the Finance Department needs; collect and organize financial and performance data for preparing reports and compiling annual budget requests; recommend funding and expenditure requests for designated accounts; monitor and manage expenses throughout the year with regard to budgets, reviewing financial accounting reports to ensure that expenditures are posted to the appropriate accounts.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a computer; make appropriate and effective use of office application software such as word processing, spreadsheet, data base and presentation software as well as information management systems related to human resource management and payroll administration to provide administrative support.
Other Important Duties
- Provide administrative support for a variety of department operations, special projects and programs as assigned.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations.
- Oversee customer service as needed.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Modern and complex principles and practices of municipal payroll
Federal, state and local tax payroll laws
Payroll programs such as Kronos and BS&A.
English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Business letter writing and basic report preparation.
Basic computer applications and techniques including word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software as well as information management systems related to human resource management and payroll administration.
Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
Principles and processes involved in administrative support functions such as tracking and reporting expenses, storing and retrieving documents, customer service methods and practices, evaluation of work processes and related office functions.
Prepare ledger entries with earnings and deductions; calculate, key, total, and balance payrolls and enter changes to employee payroll records.
Create reports for information pertaining to payroll and tax reports.
Handle all levels of complex payroll including voluntary and involuntary deductions.
Communicate effectively with employees regarding changes in salary, benefits, etc.
Perform internal audits to ensure correct and accurate payroll as well as prepare information for external audits.
Read and interpret for application, collective bargaining agreements, payroll law and organizational policies.
Interpret and explain Village policies and procedures regarding a variety of payroll and financial rules and guidelines.
Perform responsible work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative
Supervise, prioritize, organize and review the work of staff.
Select, train and evaluate staff.
Identify areas in need of performance improvement, and to arrange for training or other remedial action to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
Work within restrictions and demands of deadlines, managing multiple projects and assignments; use principles of prioritizing and time management.
Prepare clear and concise reports; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Independently prepare correspondences and memoranda.
Maintain accurate and timely files and reports in both hard copy and electronic formats.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted.
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities, which may include the following:
- Walking, standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Operating assigned equipment
Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
- Making observations
- Communicating with others
- Reading and writing
- Operating assigned equipment and vehicles
Maintain mental capacity, which allows for effective interaction and communication with others.
Maintain reasonable and predictable attendance.
Required Experience and Training:
Experience: A minimum of five years of increasingly responsible payroll accounting in a complex organization including one year of supervisory responsibility. AND
Training: Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, economics or related field: Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
Work in office environments; sustained posture in a seated position for prolonged periods of time.
Village of Oak Park
Village of Oak Park
Oak Park, IL 60302
How to apply
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Applicants can visit our website at http://www.oak-park.us/jobs. Submit applications and resumes by mail to: Human Resources, Village of Oak Park, 123 Madison Street, Oak Park, IL 60302; by email to: HR@oak-park.us or by fax to: 708-358-5107. The Village of Oak Park offers a highly competitive benefit package that includes a retirement plan, deferred compensation program, social security, health & life insurance, vacation, sick leave & other benefits.
|Village of Oak Park
|Oak Park, IL|
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.