Finance Director | Village of Palos Park
Posted on Feb 19, 2020 and will remain open until filled.
The Village of Palos Park, population of nearly 5,000, a progressive and full-service community with a high quality of life, is accepting applications for the position of Director of Finance. The position works under the direct supervision of the Village Manager and contributes to the overall mission of the Village, by professionally administering efficient and effective financial systems and procedures.
The Finance Director is an integral part of the executive management team, which consists of the Village Manage and the Elected Officials. The Director will participate in and inform the executive management team with respect to key decisions regarding budget development, administration, economic development, capital planning, and all policies affecting the overall fiscal health of the Village.
The Finance Director will manage and keep the executive management team informed with respect to the organization’s financial operations, including oversight of accounts payable and receivable, budgeting, production of financial statements and reports, annual audits, and monitoring expenditures according to budget allocations.
- Strong accounting and financial management skills along with the ability to provide strategic guidance to the Village Manager and to the elected officials.
- A passion for public service and a demonstrated ability to work effectively in a municipal environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, complex financial concepts and strategies in a manner that can be readily understood by individuals with little background in municipal finance, including to residents and other interested parties.
- A forward-looking perspective, constantly scanning the horizon to anticipate future problems while formulating potential solutions.
- A strategic and entrepreneurial mindset with a demonstrated willingness to pursue new and creative methods that result in improved efficiency and enhanced customer service to the executive management team, other Village staff, residents, and other constituents.
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible financial management experience. Some direct experience in municipal and/or county financial management is preferred.
- A bachelor’s degree is required in accounting, finance, public administration or some other related field. A master’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration or some other related field is preferred.
- Direct the day-to-day accounting operations including oversight of accounts payable and receivable, payroll processing, and maintenance of the general ledger.
- Prepare, analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements and the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Lead the annual budgeting and planning process with the input of the Village Manager and other members of the executive management team and Village staff; monitor progress and changes and produce and communicate to the Village Manager and the other members of the Executive management team monthly budget versus actual reports, with review and analysis of significant departures from budgeted figures.
- Lead with input of the Village Manager and other members of the executive management team and Village staff the long-term financial planning process of the Village.
- Oversee audit, coordinate activities with outside audit/accounting firms and review firms’ performance.
- Develop appropriate investment strategies and oversee the implementation of such strategies.
- Update and recommend implementation of necessary financial policies and accounting practices.
- Maintain responsibility for monitoring and maintaining internal controls.
- Analyze financial information detailing assets, liabilities, revenues and expenditures/expenses; as well as, prepare balance sheet, revenue and expenditure/expense statements, and other reports to summarize current and projected Village financial position. Prepare miscellaneous financial reports and account analysis as requested by the Village Manager and the other members of the executive management team.
- Establish and maintain chart of accounts within the financial accounting system software; and oversee the preparation of all bank account and investment reconciliations. Monitors collateral balances.
Salary $80,000 - $90,000 DOQ with full benefits.
Village of Palos Park
Village of Palos Park
Palos Park, IL 60464
How to apply
Interested candidates should send letter of interest, resume, completed application and three to five business-related references to Richard Boehm, Village Manager, at the Village of Palos Park, 8999 West 123rd Street, Palos Park, IL 60464 or to firstname.lastname@example.org For further information go to www.palospark.org Position open until filled.
|Village of Palos Park
|Palos Park, IL|
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.