Chief Financial Officer | Rockford Public Schools District #205
Posted on May 13, 2021 and will remain open until filled.
ROCKFORD PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT #205
Job Title: Chief Financial Officer
Job Code: 3210
Date: May 10, 2021
FLSA Status: Exempt
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: As a key member of the District’s executive staff, the Chief Financial Officer oversees all District financial functions in compliance with Illinois School Code, Board Policy, and generally accepted accounting principles for governmental fund accounting. Directly responsible to the Superintendent for the organization, direction and planning of the business affairs of the District.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Financial and Purchasing Departments and staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. In addition to the requirements listed below, regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Ensures that all actions are in concert with the Board policies as well as the mission statement, beliefs, objectives, and parameters found in the Board’s strategic plan.
- Participates in job training and professional growth opportunities in order to enhance ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.
- Serves as a member of the Superintendent’s Cabinet.
- Actively facilitates the board planning committee.
- Acts as a labor relations resource assuring upper-level finance department participation on District collective bargaining teams.
- Assures facilitation of financial aspects of negotiations with bargaining units as resource for contract negotiations/administration and property acquisition.
- Advises the Superintendent on all matters related to financial status of the school district.
- Assure appropriate resources and support for principals on building budget and management of funds.
- Assure proper safeguards for the custody and security of public funds.
- Assures the functionality, use and integrity of financial management and accounting systems.
- Complies with School Code of Illinois, Board policy and Government Accounting Standards Board rules.
- Directs fiscal operations of the District in the capacity of District Treasurer.
- Directs, maintains, and annually reviews District insurance programs including those for health, property, casualty and liability.
- Establishes internal controls by developing appropriate internal division of responsibilities as well as codifying and practicing sound accounting procedures throughout the district.
- Leads development of the District's annual budget, based on the Board of Education's Strategic Plan and critical issues identified by the Superintendent including development of salary and benefit forecasts; provides forecasting assistance to all appropriate managers.
- Monitors and evaluates monthly revenue and expenditure activities throughout the year and interprets results to assist management in responsible decision-making.
- Oversees the review and interpretation of monthly revenue and expenditure activities throughout the year and interprets results to assist management in responsible decision-making.
- Prepares and submits to the Superintendent the annual appropriation and tax levy ordinance to submit to the Board of Education.
- Provides financial information to the administration and board for educational planning.
- Ensures the full and proper receipt of revenues on a timely basis.
- Actively plans investments and cash flow management.
- Provides supplemental/discretionary reports, data and materials.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s degree, Doctorate in Educational Administration, or CPA preferred. Successful experience as a School Business Official preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to demonstrate qualities aligned to our core values of Character, Communication, Collaboration and Continuous Improvement.
- Interpersonal skills are critical, as this position requires extensive communications with employees with varying backgrounds and levels of management sophistication.
- Strong organizational, administrative and supervisory skills.
- Understanding of and experience with diversity of cultures and race.
- Creative, innovative approach to problem solving.
- High energy level and assertive leadership style.
WORK CALENDAR: 12 Months
Moderate in-District travel, some statewide travel. Frequent prolonged, irregular hours of work.
This job description contains duties and responsibilities that are representative of the nature and level of work assigned to the position. The identified duties and responsibilities are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the District and employee and is subject to change by the District as needs and requirements change. This description is written primarily for position evaluation purposes. The principal activities are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Rockford Public Schools District #205
501 7th St
Rockford, IL 61104
How to apply
Please visit our website to apply: https://www.applitrack.com/rps205/onlineapp/default.aspx?Category=Administration
|Rockford Public Schools District #205
Chief Financial Officer
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.