Local Records Retention - Best Practices & Workshop Luncheon - NIU Rockford
Registration for this event has closed.
Save to your calendar
8500 E. State St.
Rockford, Illinois 61108
Map and directions
|Delivery Method||In Person|
|Field of Study||Business Management and Organization - Non-Technical|
|NASBA CPE||Earn 1.00 CPE Hours|
|Government / Partner Colleagues||$ 25.00|
Join Steve Colaizzi and Marikay Hegarty, Records Archivists, for an encore presentation on the Local Records Act. Learn about how to identify public records, records management issues and best practices in preventing illegal destruction of records. After the presentation, stay for a working lunch workshop to create or update your agency’s application and discuss policy and procedures with other agencies. Attendees are asked to bring a copy of their organizations application and disposal certificate.
Learning Objectives: Participants completing this session will be able to:
- Obtain an understanding of the Local Records Act, the Local Records Commission and the role of the SOS Records Management Office;
- Understand how public records are defined and the requirements for disposal of paper and electronic records;
- Learn how to create, update and maintain the document listing on your agency’s application;
- Explore records management issues; and
- Learn techniques and best practices in handling records to protect your agency and prevent illegal destruction of records.
Speakers: Steve Colaizzi, Records Archivist, Illinois State Archives and Marikay Hegarty, Records Archivist, Illinois State Archives
Check-in and Networking: 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM
Presentation: 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Luncheon & Workshop Q & A: 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Workshop (not CPE eligible):
Receive guidance and recommendations from the experts on how to create or update your agency’s application.
- Explore records management issues, techniques and best practices with the experts and other agencies.
- Recommend reviewing your agency’s application and disposal certificate prior to the workshop and bring questions specific to your agency for discussion with the Record Archivists.
Discuss and share your agency’s record retention policy and procedures with other agencies, if applicable.
Intended Audience: Finance Professionals and Support Staff
Delivery Method: Group Live
Program Level: Overview
Prerequisites: No prerequisites required
Advanced Preparation: No advanced preparation required
Field of Study: Business Management and Organization - Non-Technical
Last Review/Revision/Update: September 29, 2022
NASBA CPE Credits: Earn About 1.0 CPE credit
Registration & Cancellation Policy
REGISTRATION AND CANCELLATION POLICY
Registrations are accepted on a first-in, first registered basis. Payments by check should be mailed in advance or made at time of registration by credit card.
Cancellation of an event registration is subject to the following policy:
• No refunds will be given for cancellations the day of the event and no shows.
• For IGFOA event registration cancellations five (5) business days or more prior to an event, refunds will be offset by a $20 cancellation fee.
• For IGFOA event registration cancellations within five (5) business days of the training, refunds will be offset by a cancellation fee of 50% of the registration fee.
• A substitute attendee may be designated provided that the payment has been made and the IGFOA office has been notified in advance.
• A written request for a refund must be emailed to the IGFOA prior to the event.
By submitting this registration, the applicant agrees to the registration and cancellation policy above.
IGFOA reserves the right to modify the agenda and/or speakers, cancel the training due to low enrollment, or to close registration if full. Should IGFOA cancel an event, cancellation notice will be sent to the email address provided by each registrant and prominently posted at the IGFOA website page announcing the event.
If you have questions about the cancellation and refund policy, your membership, or a complaint, please contact IGFOA at 630-942-6587. The IGFOA reserves the right to apply the non-member fee to any individual or government that has not paid dues for the current year.
Approved by the National Registry of CPE Sponsors
CPE Registry Illinois Government Finance Officers Association (IGFOA) is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State Boards of Accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.