Rock River Region Holiday Lunch & Learn: Hidden in Plain Sight: Handling Fraud in the Workplace
|Date||Tuesday, December 12, 2023
Save to your calendar
Tavern on Clark
755 Clark Dr.
Rockford, Illinois 61107
Map and directions
|Delivery Method||In Person|
|Field of Study||Auditing (Governmental) - Technical|
|NASBA CPE||Earn 1.00 CPE Hours|
|Government / Partner Colleagues||$ 25.00|
A strong system of internal controls not only deters fraud but also supports greater efficiency and legal compliance within the local government business function. This seminar identifies types and common methods of employee dishonesty, the role of the external auditor to detect fraud, and the personality of a fraudster. The COSO system is discussed and the all-important concept of separation of duties is presented in a practical, easy to apply context. And because fraud can and will happen, the appropriate way to handle the shock and resulting investigation is outlined.
Learning Objectives: Participants completing this session will be able to:
- Become conversant with the who, when, what, why and how of fraud and employee dishonesty in government;
- Define internal control and understand the five components of an effective internal control system;
- Understand the principle of separation of duties and the functions it means to separate; and
- Leave with a Fraud Incident Management Protocol and a plan to handle incidents of fraud when they occur.
Speaker: Mary A. OConnor, ASA, CFE, CRE, CMI, Partner, Forensic and Valuation Services, Sikich LLP
Check-in: 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Luncheon: 12:00 PM
Presentation: 12:10 PM - 1:00 PM
Networking and Camaraderie: Immediately following the presentation
Intended Audience: Finance Professionals
Delivery Method: Group Live
Program Level: Overview
Prerequisites: No prerequisites required
Advanced Preparation: No advanced preparation required
Field of Study: Auditing (Governmental) - Technical
Last Review/Revision/Update: December 12, 2023
NASBA CPE Credits: Earn About 1.0 CPE credit
Presented by the Downstate chapter
Registration & Cancellation Policy
REGISTRATION AND CANCELLATION POLICY
Registrations are accepted on a first-in, first registered basis. Payments by check should be mailed in advance or made at time of registration by credit card.
Cancellation of an event registration is subject to the following policy:
• No refunds will be given for cancellations the day of the event and no shows.
• For IGFOA event registration cancellations five (5) business days or more prior to an event, refunds will be offset by a $20 cancellation fee.
• For IGFOA event registration cancellations within five (5) business days of the training, refunds will be offset by a cancellation fee of 50% of the registration fee.
• A substitute attendee may be designated provided that the payment has been made and the IGFOA office has been notified in advance.
• A written request for a refund must be emailed to the IGFOA prior to the event.
By submitting this registration, the applicant agrees to the registration and cancellation policy above.
IGFOA reserves the right to modify the agenda and/or speakers, cancel the training due to low enrollment, or to close registration if full. Should IGFOA cancel an event, cancellation notice will be sent to the email address provided by each registrant and prominently posted at the IGFOA website page announcing the event.
If you have questions about the cancellation and refund policy, your membership, or a complaint, please contact IGFOA at 630-942-6587. The IGFOA reserves the right to apply the non-member fee to any individual or government that has not paid dues for the current year.
Approved by the National Registry of CPE Sponsors
CPE Registry Illinois Government Finance Officers Association (IGFOA) is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State Boards of Accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.