Paid Leave for All Workers Act Update: What To Know Heading Into 2024
|Date||Thursday, December 14, 2023
Save to your calendar
|Field of Study||Business Law - Technical|
|NASBA CPE||Earn 1.00 CPE Hours|
|Government / Partner Colleagues||$ 20.00|
Numerous developments in federal and state employment laws will impact employers in 2024. The U.S. Department of Labor has issued a proposed rule to increase the minimum salary required for employees to be exempt from overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Employees also will have new statutory rights to leave, including under the new Illinois Paid Leave for All Workers Act (PLFAWA), the new Illinois Extended Child Bereavement Act, amendments to the Illinois Victims Economic Security and Safety Act (VESSA), and other existing leave laws. Employees also have new rights under various other new federal and state laws and amendments to existing laws, including the Illinois Transportation Benefit Act, pay transparency amendments to the Illinois Equal Pay Act, and federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination based on pregnancy and race and prohibiting gender violence.
Learning Objectives: Participants completing this session will be able to:
- Understand how to prepare your agency for the potential increase in the minimum salary required for overtime exemptions under the FLSA;
- Understand the how the Illinois Department of Labor’s proposed regulations impact your agency’s rights and obligations under the PLFAWA; and
- Understand what policies and practices need to be updated based on changes to VESSA, the Extended Child Bereavement law, the Illinois Transportation Benefit Act, the Illinois Equal Pay Act, and more.
Speaker: David Moore, Attorney, Laner Muchin, Ltd.
Intended Audience: Finance Professionals
Delivery Method: Internet Based
Program Level: Overview
Prerequisites: No prerequisites required
Advanced Preparation: No advanced preparation required
Field of Study: Business Law - Technical
NASBA CPE: Earn About 1.0 CPE credit
Registration & Cancellation Policy
REGISTRATION AND CANCELLATION POLICY
Registrations are accepted on a first-in, first registered basis. Payments by check should be mailed in advance or made at time of registration by credit card.
Cancellation of an event registration is subject to the following policy:
• No refunds will be given for cancellations the day of the event and no shows.
• For IGFOA event registration cancellations five (5) business days or more prior to an event, refunds will be offset by a $20 cancellation fee.
• For IGFOA event registration cancellations within five (5) business days of the training, refunds will be offset by a cancellation fee of 50% of the registration fee.
• A substitute attendee may be designated provided that the payment has been made and the IGFOA office has been notified in advance.
• A written request for a refund must be emailed to the IGFOA prior to the event.
By submitting this registration, the applicant agrees to the registration and cancellation policy above.
IGFOA reserves the right to modify the agenda and/or speakers, cancel the training due to low enrollment, or to close registration if full. Should IGFOA cancel an event, cancellation notice will be sent to the email address provided by each registrant and prominently posted at the IGFOA website page announcing the event.
If you have questions about the cancellation and refund policy, your membership, or a complaint, please contact IGFOA at 630-942-6587. The IGFOA reserves the right to apply the non-member fee to any individual or government that has not paid dues for the current year.
Approved by the National Registry of CPE Sponsors
CPE Registry Illinois Government Finance Officers Association (IGFOA) is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State Boards of Accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.