Accountant II (Finance) | Village of Schaumburg
Posted on Nov 27, 2023
VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court, Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 78,723 residents located 11 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of Chicago. Not only is Schaumburg the twelfth-largest community in the State of Illinois, but it is also home to the second-largest concentration of retail, office, and commercial activity. Notable village distinctions include being rated as an excellent or good place to live by 95% of respondents in the National Community Survey; having multiple highly-awarded and accredited departments; and being recognized as a Better Business Town by The Better Business Bureau of Chicago and Northern Illinois.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in 12 departments, including police, fire, engineering and public works, communications, community development, cultural services, economic development, finance, general government, human resources, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Accountant II (Finance)
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $80,552.00 - $92,509.00 annually dependent on qualifications.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position performs a variety of accounting functions, such as preparing journal entries, financial statement analysis, bank reconciliations, annual audit related duties, preparation of a variety of financial reports and assisting in maintaining accurate financial records for the village and performing related accounting tasks as assigned. The ideal candidate needs to demonstrate strong and efficient analytical and problem solving skills and have the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects with thoroughness and accuracy, and work in a detail-oriented environment. This team member needs to effectively and clearly communicate to a full range of people.
Proficient in Spanish and/or Polish is a plus.
1. Reviews, records, and reconciles all deposits and withdrawals posting to village accounts. This is done on a daily, weekly and monthly basis depending on the type of transactions. This includes making adjustments, providing justification for variances, and verification to the bank and village general ledger as well as outside agencies.
2. Maintains and reconciles general ledger and all subsidiary ledgers in an accurate and proficient manner including the reconciling of bank accounts on a monthly basis, preparing monthly closing entries, and preparing journal entries as required for all transactions posting to the general ledger. Verifies the processing and mapping of all applications to the general ledger, including, correct setup for online payment posting, customer payment reports and verification of the correct accounting in the general ledger system ensuring the correct set up and implementation.
3. Maintains and reconciles a variety of spreadsheets, reports and records; verifies the accuracy of accounting documents and other financial transactions. Assists in the implementation of latest accounting standards and pronouncements and accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance and transparency.
4. Works closely with project managers during the year and at year end to ensure that grant revenue and related expenditures are recorded within generally accepted accounting principles and federal grants are properly identified for the schedule of expenditures of federal awards. Maintains information regarding all active grants, including a summary of revenues and/or expenditures, funding source, CFDA number and other pertinent information that would be required for a Single Audit.
5. Assists with year-end closing journal entries and year-end close processes in the village’s accounting software. Assists in coordination of annual audit, by preparing workpapers, financial statement schedules, notes, and responding to the auditors’ requests for information.
6. Assists in accounting for investments and support to all treasury functions, including preparation of the daily available cash report.
7. Serves as backup for the Payroll Coordinator and Customer Service Clerk in Accounting. Assists the Payroll Coordinator with year-end filings and special payroll processes.
8. Leads compilation, review, and posting of the monthly financial report.
9. Updates and maintains fund forecasts and assists with the annual budget process, which includes cost and revenue analyses and projections.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or closely related field.
2. A minimum of two years of accounting work experience including extensive knowledge of accounting principles and techniques.
3. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
4. Proficiency with current computer technology, job specific software, and customer service systems. Knowledge and experience with the Tyler Technologies’ Munis system is strongly desired.
Village of Schaumburg
LocationAtcher Municipal Center
Schaumburg, IL 60193
How to apply
Please apply online http://www.schaumburg.com/
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.