Assistant Finance Director | Village of Glencoe
Posted on May 17, 2021 and will remain open until filled.
The Village of Glencoe is seeking an experienced municipal finance professional who can hit the ground running as the next Assistant Finance Director.
Who we are: Our team is made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experience and we share a common goal – providing the very best services to the Glencoe community.
What we do: Our vision is to make Glencoe the community that people choose to live, work and do business, by providing innovative, responsive, high-quality public services in an environmentally and fiscally sustainable manner. Everyone on our team contributes to us achieving this vision! This means that we put our customers’ needs first, we strive to be leaders and innovators, and we believe in always looking for ways to improve.
What the job is: The Assistant Finance Director supervises the day-to-day operations of the Finance Department in the areas of utility billing, purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cashiering and payroll, and supervises the Billing Services Coordinator, Financial Analyst and Accounts Receivable Coordinator. The Assistant Finance Director is heavily engaged in the Village’s budget development and capital planning processes, working closely with the Finance Director and each department. The Assistant Finance Director also oversees the purchasing and risk management functions of the Village. Currently, the Assistant Finance Director part of a team that is implementing Tyler Technologies Incode 10 ERP and Executime timekeeping software; payroll and timekeeping functionality are the final components to be implemented by the end of 2021. The Assistant Finance Director champions customer service, innovation and continuous improvement in the operations of the department.
Why Glencoe: In Glencoe, we strive to live our values. As a local government and as an employer, we prioritize building a culture of inclusion of all people, environmental sustainability, continuous improvement, sound financial management, ethical government and providing the highest level of service to all of our customers (our residents, our businesses and our employees). Glencoe has a proven track record of investing in our community’s infrastructure, our organization’s technology and our employees so that we are able to be a responsive, progressive organization. With a $29 million budget, Glencoe boasts a AAA rating from S&P Global Ratings for 18 years running, a Government Finance Officers Association Excellence in Financial Reporting Award recipient for 35 years, Distinguished Budget Award recipient for 21 years and recipient of the Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Annual Financial Reporting for 10 years.
As an employer, Glencoe offers a highly competitive salary and benefit package, including flexible work arrangements (flexible scheduling and partial telecommuting), six weeks of paid family care leave after one year of service, generous vacation and sick leave, IMRF pension and great health insurance options.
Don’t just take our word for it – our employees have consistently said they like the strong sense of teamwork in Glencoe and our residents have shared overwhelmingly positive feedback about the Village. In a 2019 community survey, 99% of respondents rated Glencoe as an excellent or good place to live and 93% said they are very satisfied or satisfied with Village services, earning Glencoe national recognition for outstanding service delivery!
- Works closely with the Finance Director to coordinate development of the Village’s annual budget, including work with all departments, compilation of the Community Improvement Program, participating in internal budget reviews and preparing annual budget reports
- Assists with preparation of monthly financial reports, balance sheets and income statements; assists with presentation of monthly financial report to the Finance Committee
- Supervises the Billing Services Coordinator, Financial Analyst and Accounts Receivable Coordinator
- Serves as the Village’s purchasing coordinator, interacting with all departments to ensure compliance with the Village’s purchasing policy; conducts periodic reviews of purchasing policies and procedures; provides training to departments related to purchasing; assists departments with complex purchasing projects; coordinates joint purchasing with other units of government
- Coordinates preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, including compilation of financial and statistical information, determining and implementing necessary journal entries and balancing accounts, assets and liabilities
- Assists with establishing internal controls and procedures for cash receipts, payroll, accounts payable and billing functions, classification of fixed assets and preparation/correction of journal entries
- Manages the Village’s risk management function; serves as Intergovernmental Risk Management Agency claims coordinator, safety coordinator and alternate director; prepares claim reports; interacts with claimants, claims handlers and attorneys; maintains safety policies and assists with briefing the executive management team and Village Board on claims
- Provides administrative support and assistance with the Village’s pension funds and long-term debt issuances
- Serves as the staff liaison to volunteer boards/commissions as assigned
- Provides and models exceptional customer service
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, information systems, public administration, political science, business administration or closely related field; master’s degree strongly preferred
- 4-6 years of related experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong working knowledge of the principles and practices of governmental, utility and commercial accounting; comprehensive knowledge of general accounting concepts and practices
- Strong technology skills, Microsoft Office suite skills and desire to incorporate technology into business processes; experience with Tyler Technologies’ Incode 10 ERP or similar financial software is a plus
- Knowledge of federal, state and local tax laws and regulations pertaining to local governments
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and process improvement skills
Interpersonal and Communication
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Great communication skills and ability to adapt style to fit audience
- Experience with presenting complex concepts in a public setting
- Ability to exercise sound independent judgment in carrying out assignments and applying Village policies
- Good team member also capable of working independently
- Effective supervisory skills, including goal setting, work plan development, coaching, teaching and performance evaluation
- Self-starter able to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Emphasis on continuous improvement
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Occasional lifting/carrying up to 10-20 pounds (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Frequent walking and standing (sometimes on uneven surfaces), talking, listening, and operating computer (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Work is primarily performed in an office setting
- Strong emphasis on workplace safety
Salary range for the position is $94,897 to $132,856; starting salary DOQ and expected to be highly competitive. Great benefits, including accrued paid leave, paid family care leave, optional flexible work arrangements, IMRF pension, health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance among others.
Village of Glencoe
675 Village Court
Glencoe, IL 60022
How to apply
Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and application to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference Job ID 21-06 Assistant Finance Director in the subject line of the e-mail. The position will remain open until filled, and resume review will take place as applications are received - the Village would like to select a highly-qualified candidate soon.
A starting bonus of $2,500+ will be offered if the successful applicant commits to beginning employment with the Village by June 28.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
|Village of Glencoe
Assistant Finance Director
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.