Deputy Comptroller - Payroll & Garnishment | Cook County (Chicago, IL)
Posted on May 25, 2021 and will remain open until filled.
- Assists the Comptroller in directing and coordinating the County activities concerned with the administration of payroll and garnishments including disbursement processing, payroll tax preparation and filing, general ledger maintenance, reconciliation of accounts and timely and accurate reporting.
- Assists the Comptroller with the County wide external audit and in ensuring compliance with statutory or government rules and regulations.
- Acts as a liaison in advising the Cook County Board of Commissioners, President, and Chief Financial Officer on desirable payroll and garnishment operations.
- Assists the Comptroller in the overall management of the Comptroller’s Office, delivery of services, and formulation of policies and procedures.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Assists the Comptroller in directing subordinates to administer the county wide payroll and garnishment process in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assists in the supervision of the County’s payroll and garnishment disbursement, reporting, compliance, year-end, external audit and system processes. Evaluates departmental and county wide payroll and garnishment policies and procedures to plan methods for ensuring timely and efficient processing of bi-weekly and interim cycles, general ledger maintenance, tax deposits, account reconciliations and required reports.
- Assists in the compilation of data and preparation of payroll tax reports, W-2 files and forms and operating reports to ensure accurate and timely distribution or filing of them.
- Make recommendations to the Comptroller on improving payroll and garnishment processes, internal controls and the reduction of operating costs.
- Aids in the development and enforcement of office wide policies and procedures.
- Assists the Comptroller in fulfilling the Comptroller’s Office responsibilities with communicating payroll, garnishment and financial matters or data to the Cook County Board of Commissioners, President, Chief Financial Officer and County wide departments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of payroll or financial management with respect to the role of an administrator.
- Knowledge and understanding of payroll and garnishment policies and procedures.
- Ability to verbally discuss payroll and financial problems with department representatives, elected officials and administrative personnel and to prepare oral and written reports.
- Ability to utilize payroll, or enterprise resource planning and time attendance systems for processing, analysis, ad hoc reporting and to ensure proper internal controls exist within these systems.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct and evaluate fiscal or operational projects. Ability to recommend solutions to payroll, garnishment and financial problems and implement them as necessary.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree PLUS a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in accounting, finance, payroll or administration of a large and complex organization OR equivalent combination of professional work experience, training and education.
Master’s Degree in business, accounting or finance. Certified Public Accountant (CPA). Experience in payroll or administration for a large and complex public or governmental organization.
Cook County (Chicago, IL)
118 North Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60602
How to apply
Please send cover letter and resume via email to ShakmanExemptApplications@cookcountyil.gov.
|Cook County (Chicago, IL)
Deputy Comptroller - Payroll & Garnishment
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.