Finance Intern | Village of Glencoe
Posted on Jan 24, 2023 and will remain open until filled.
Are you a current or recent college student wanting to break into municipal finance? Do you have a passion for public service? A love of accounting and all things finance? The Village of Glencoe’s seasonal finance internship is a great opportunity to put what you’ve learned in the classroom to use in the community while serving the community and learn from a top team of municipal finance professionals!
Who we are: Our team is made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experience and we share a common goal – providing the very best services to the Glencoe community.
What we do: Our vision is to make Glencoe the community that people choose to live, work and do business, by providing innovative, responsive, high-quality public services in an environmentally and fiscally sustainable manner. Everyone on our team contributes to us achieving this vision! This means that we put our customers’ needs first, we strive to be leaders and innovators, and we believe in always looking for ways to improve.
What the job is: The Finance Intern supports the Finance Department and daily customer service functions of the Department and organization, with an emphasis on learning about municipal finance with opportunities for regular interaction and feedback from the Finance Department’s leadership team. The Finance Intern will assist with customer inquiries, answer phones, complete special projects and assist with processing the annual vehicle and animal license renewal. The Finance Intern may receive assignments from the Finance Director or Assistant Finance Director and may assist operating departments with special projects. The Finance Intern will generally work from March until July, but start and end dates are flexible based on the intern’s school schedule. The intern typically works 20-25 hours per week, depending on operational needs, during Village Hall’s business hours of 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Why Glencoe: In Glencoe, we strive to live our values. As a local government and as an employer, we prioritize building a culture of inclusion, environmental sustainability, continuous improvement, sound financial management, ethical government and providing the highest level of service to all of our customers (our residents, our businesses and our employees). Glencoe has a proven track record of investing in our community’s infrastructure, our organization’s technology and our employees so that we are able to be a responsive, progressive organization.
Our employees have consistently said they like the strong sense of teamwork in Glencoe and our residents have shared overwhelmingly positive feedback about the Village. In a 2019 community survey, 99% of respondents rated Glencoe as an excellent or good place to live and 93% said they are very satisfied or satisfied with Village services, earning Glencoe national recognition for outstanding service delivery!
Diversity, equity and inclusion are critical to the Village’s success. The Village is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive workforce in which all employees are valued, respected and have a sense of belonging. The Village is proud to have a diverse workforce in which all individuals are celebrated.
- Provides outstanding customer service to customers by telephone and in-person
- Supports Finance Department operations by assisting with customer inquiries, answering phones, filing, scanning and performing a variety of related support tasks
- Assists with the annual renewal of vehicle and animal licenses and related data entry and filing
- Completes special projects as assigned
- Provides support for other departments as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Finance Director or Assistant Finance Director
Education and Experience
- Current or recent undergraduate student pursuing degree in business, finance, accounting, public administration or a closely related field
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Basic knowledge of accounting or finance principles and practices and their application
- Ability to acquire and apply thorough knowledge of Village and department policies and procedures
Interpersonal and Communication
- Outstanding customer service and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Maintain strong working relationship with Finance Department staff and coworkers in other departments
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Occasional lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Frequent sitting, talking, listening, and operating computer (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Strong emphasis on workplace safety.
- The Village strongly encourages COVID-19 vaccination as part of the Village’s commitment to providing a safe work environment and to continue serving the community.
Salary The hourly rate is $16.00 to $19.00 per hour. There are no fringe benefits.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Village of Glencoe
Location675 Village Court
Glencoe, IL 60022
How to apply
Please e-mail cover letter, resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference Job ID 23-02 Finance Intern in the subject line of the e-mail, or return completed application to Village Hall, 675 Village Court, Glencoe, Illinois, 60022. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, with interviews expected to take place soon. The position will remain open until filled.
|Village of Glencoe
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.