Payroll and Benefits Specialist | Village of Glencoe
Posted on May 11, 2021 and will remain open until filled.
The Village of Glencoe is seeking a finance-savvy professional with experience in payroll and benefits administration to serve as the next Payroll and Benefits Specialist.
Who we are: Our team is made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experience and we share a common goal – providing the very best services to the Glencoe community.
What we do: Our vision is to make Glencoe the community that people choose to live, work and do business, by providing innovative, responsive, high-quality public services in an environmentally and fiscally sustainable manner. Everyone on our team contributes to us achieving this vision! This means that we put our customers’ needs first, we strive to be leaders and innovators, and we believe in always looking for ways to improve.
What the job is: The Payroll and Benefits Specialist is responsible for managing the Village’s payroll process for employees and police and fire pension participants, assists with employee benefits administration, and assists with research and analysis of Finance Department and Village programs, services and policies. Currently, this position is part of a team that is implementing Tyler Technologies Incode 10 ERP and Executime timekeeping software; payroll and timekeeping functionality are the final financial components to be implemented by the end of 2021. The Payroll and Benefits Specialist champions customer service, innovation and continuous improvement in the operations of the department.
Why Glencoe: In Glencoe, we strive to live our values. As a local government and as an employer, we prioritize building a culture of inclusion of all people, environmental sustainability, continuous improvement, sound financial management, ethical government and providing the highest level of service to all of our customers (our residents, our businesses and our employees). Glencoe has a proven track record of investing in our community’s infrastructure, our organization’s technology and our employees so that we are able to be a responsive, progressive organization. With a $29 million budget, Glencoe boasts a AAA rating from S&P Global Ratings for 18 years running, a Government Finance Officers Association Excellence in Financial Reporting Award recipient for 35 years, Distinguished Budget Award recipient for 21 years and recipient of the Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Annual Financial Reporting for 10 years.
As an employer, Glencoe offers a highly competitive salary and benefit package, including flexible work arrangements (flexible scheduling and partial telecommuting), six weeks of paid family care leave after one year of service, generous vacation and sick leave, IMRF pension and great health insurance options.
Don’t just take our word for it – our employees have consistently said they like the strong sense of teamwork in Glencoe and our residents have shared overwhelmingly positive feedback about the Village. In a 2019 community survey, 99% of respondents rated Glencoe as an excellent or good place to live and 93% said they are very satisfied or satisfied with Village services, earning Glencoe national recognition for outstanding service delivery!
- Coordinates and processes all payroll activities, including managing time and attendance system and time entry processes, maintaining payroll and leave records, preparing and issuing payroll checks (including related bank transfers, direct deposit and positive pay transactions)
- Maintains employee personnel files
- Prepares regular payroll reconciliation processes (including Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, Illinois Department of Employment Security and benefit payments)
- Processes W-2 and 1099-R forms annually; completes other reports as needed (including the EEO-4 report)
- Administers health and benefit plan enrollments and changes, prepares benefits reports, reconciles monthly benefits enrollment records and related invoices; assists with annual open enrollment processes by preparing information for employees and retirees
- Researches and analyzes department and Village-wide programs, services and policies, formulates recommendations for improvement; prepares reports for decision-making purposes
- Assists with development of the Village’s annual budget
- Serves as the staff liaison to volunteer boards/commissions as assigned
- Provides and models exceptional customer service
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, public administration, political science, business administration or closely related field
- 1-3 years of related experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong knowledge of payroll administration practices, laws and regulations
- Knowledge of benefits administration practices
- Sound research and analysis skills
Interpersonal and Communication
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Great communication skills and ability to adapt style to fit audience
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with all departments
- Self-starter able to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Emphasis on continuous improvement
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Occasional lifting/carrying up to 10-20 pounds (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Frequent walking and standing (sometimes on uneven surfaces), talking, listening, and operating computer (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Work is primarily performed in an office setting
- Strong emphasis on workplace safety
Salary range for the position is $65,883 to $88,942; starting salary DOQ and expected to be highly competitive. Great benefits, including accrued paid leave, paid family care leave, optional flexible work arrangements, IMRF pension, health insurance, dental insurance and life insurance, among others.
Village of Glencoe
675 Village Court
Glencoe, IL 60022
How to apply
Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and application to email@example.com and reference Job ID 21-07 Payroll and Benefits Specialist in the subject line of the e-mail. The position will remain open until filled, and resume review will take place as applications are received - the Village would like to select a highly-qualified candidate soon. A starting bonus of $1,500+ will be offered if the successful applicant commits to beginning employment with the Village by June 7.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
|Village of Glencoe
Payroll and Benefits Specialist
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.