Revenue Manager | Village of Maywood
Posted on Apr 1, 2021 and will remain open until filled.
Department: Finance Department
Reports to: Director of Finance
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under general direction, plans, organizes, manages, and oversees such functions as Business licensing, Debt recovery programs, Utility Billing, Collections, Vehicle Stickers, and other sources of revenue. Oversees all aspects of billing, payment collection, cash handling, and customer relations; develops and maintains utility billing procedures and workload assignments; coordinates activities with other Village departments, outside agencies, and the public; supervises assigned staff; performs other related duties as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives direction from the Director of Finance. Exercise supervision and provides technical guidance and day-to-day direction to collection specialist, cashier, helper, supervisor, and other assigned support staff. Trains, prepares performance evaluations, recommends employee recognition, disciplinary action, and termination for subordinate staff.
The Revenue Manager is a management level classification within the Finance Department. The incumbent serves as Manager of Water Collections in the Finance Department and exercises considerable independent judgment in managing, coordinating, and monitoring the work of staff assigned to the Department. The incumbent is expected to ensure work quality and accuracy and oversee the maintenance of appropriate accounting records.
Essential and other important responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plans, organizes, establishes department goals, objectives, policies, and procedures; evaluates work methods, for improving department performance and meeting goals; ensures that goals are achieved.
- Directs the activities of collections, cashiering duties, customer relations, and utility billing; oversees and participates in all aspects of the utility billing process including processing of applications for water, sewer, and garbage services; implementation of rate adjustments, penalty process, meter reading system, and account maintenance.
- Performs the more difficult and complex billing duties of the department including resolution of customer complaints, responding to Freedom of Information Act questions and inquiries, receives and investigates complaints and recommends corrective actions as necessary to resolve complaints, interprets administrative policies, and resolve payment and service issues Manages department staff; establish schedules; assigns work to technicians and office personnel; monitors work activities to ensure safe work practices, work quality and accuracy; ensures compliance to applicable rules, policies, and procedures.
- Keeps informed on resolutions and ordinance additions and changes pertaining to revenue collection matters; suggests and implements improvements in ordinances and regulations.
- Coordinates in the selection and training of department personnel; assumes responsibility for coaching, motivating, monitoring, and regularly evaluating employee performance; identifies and resolves staff deficiencies; provides necessary training; initiates discipline and termination procedures as is appropriate.
- Maintains detailed financial records of all revenue billed and collected for water, sewer, and garbage accounts; prepares statistical and/or analytical reports on operations as necessary; oversees and performs special account research and analysis for the department, Village staff, and the public; prepares and updates informational materials for the public related to utility billing programs; represents the utility billing and collections department in a variety of Village meetings.
- Coordinates the department’s activities with other Village departments and the public; establishes and maintains a customer service orientation within the department; establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, State/local agencies and associations, Village management and staff, and the public.
- Research and work with vendors and potential suppliers of services to recommend improvements in billing technologies and customer service response to improve the customer service experience for customers.
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
Knowledge of: Principles and practices of effective supervision, training, motivation, performance evaluation, and methods used in the performance of customer service duties; operational characteristics, services and activities of a revenue management program including utility billing and collections; modern office practices, procedures, and equipment including a computer and applicable financial, statistical and billing software; including utilization of computerized billing systems for billing, collection, reporting and delinquency follow-up; principles, practices, and procedures of collection law; strong understanding of cash management principles; strong understanding of credit card and e-payment programs and structures.
Skill in: Leadership and supervisory skills; excellent oral communication skills; excellent written communication skills including correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary for producing a variety of reports, analyses, and recommendations; highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products including spreadsheet, word processing, and database management.
Ability to: Maintain consistent and punctual attendance; follow oral and written instructions;work independently and make decisions within broad guidelines; use independent and sound judgement to resolveproblems; multi-task and manage competing demands and manage multiple deadlines; respond quickly to frequent change, delays, or unexpected events in the work environment; understand, interpret, and apply general and specific administrative and departmental policies and procedures as well as applicable federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations; respond to common inquiries or complaints from personnel, regulatory agencies, or the public; provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers; conduct self with poise and impartiality and appropriately handle angry or upset employees and customers; work with diverse populations; effectively, supervise, train, evaluate, oversee, and direct the work of staff; provide guidance to other professional and clerical staff; utilize automated data processing systems; Organize and prepare financial and statistical reports; communicate effectively and tactfully verbally and in writing; compose, proofread, and edit general correspondence and reports; ability and willingness to demonstrate the Public Service Competencies of Service Orientation, Results Orientation, and Teamwork and Cooperation.
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment with long periods at a computer workstation. Additionally, the position requires near vision in reading correspondence, statistical data, and using a computer. Acute hearing is required when providing phone service and communicating in person. The need to lift, drag, and push files, computer reports other materials weighing up to 25 pounds also is required.
- May require extended hours and occasional weekend or evening work, as well as occasional overnight travel to conferences or training events.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION(S):
- Graduate from an accredited educational institution with a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field.
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience providing customer service in billing, collections, and in handling the public under sometimes adverse circumstances.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of supervisory or management experience leading a customer support team. Strong knowledge of accounting, cash handling, information systems, and spreadsheet/database applications.
- Experience in a governmental environment preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to provide the applicant with the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, to successfully perform the essential functions of the job will be considered.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment criminal and credit/financial background and reference review, and upon offer of employment medical examination, including alcohol and drug screen.
- Must be able to qualify for a fiduciary and/or fidelity bond.
- Must reside within 15 miles of the Village of Maywood boundaries.
- Must be able to provide proof of U.S. citizenship or legal right to work in the United States.
Village of Maywood
40 Madison Street
Maywood, IL 60153
How to apply
|From our website - https://www.maywood-il.org|
Welcome to Village of Maywood's application process!
You can now apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link! If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can build an application by clicking on the "Build Job Application" link. This application can be saved and used to apply for more than one job opening.
If you do not want to apply for a job at this time, go to the "Applicant Login" link (on the left navigation bar). From there, you can create your account profile and even create an application that you can use at a later date when you do want to apply for a job.
Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted.
It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. Applications may be rejected if incomplete.
You may also contact the Human Resources Department at (708)450-6302.
|Village of Maywood
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.