Account Tech I - Utility Billing & Licensing | City of DeKalb
Posted on Nov 7, 2023 and will remain open until filled.
The Account Tech I - Utility Billing & Licensing is a first point of contact for the City and assists the residents, community, outside agencies and employees over the telephone and in-person. This position will be responsible for utility billing, licensing, cash receipting and other duties.
This position is assigned to the Finance Department and works under the direct supervision of the Finance Director. This position routinely handles sensitive and/or confidential information and has extensive contact with customers and provides assistance in person and over the telephone. The position is a full-time, position represented under AFSCME and will work Monday - Friday, 37.5 hours per week.
- Assists the general public and employees in-person and over the phone in a courteous, responsible and knowledgeable manner. Directs visitors and forwards call to the appropriate personnel.
- Collects monies and issues receipts for utility bill payments, parking tickets and other transactions from the general public including cash, check, credit card and other payment types. Accepts documents to be recorded and collects associated fees. Provides technical information to the public via phone.
- Processes all new residential accounts, commercial accounts, and termination requests. Responds to customer inquiries regarding high utility bills, suspected leaks, etc.
- Reviews usage history and works with the Utility Division to arrange additional readings, and computes billing adjustments, as necessary.
- Coordinates delinquent account collections and final utility bills. Sends correspondence, posts penalties on utility billing system, establishes payment plans, and prepares termination notices for delinquent accounts. Determines accounts to be terminated by reason of nonpayment and arranges shut-off process according to departmental guidelines.
- Prepares monthly sanitary vendor reconciliation, reviews payments against billing history and prepares vendor check request.
- Assists the public and business owners with inquiries regarding business licensing requirements. Accepts applications and reviews for completeness, verifies requirements, accepts payment, and processes applications.
- Acts as a liaison between the public/business owners and departmental staff with inquires. Works with departmental staff on resolution and follows-up with appropriate parties.
- Administers the annual licensing renewals for fire life safety, hotels/motels, rooming houses, solicitors, and food trucks, including monitoring inspection status with the Fire Prevention Officer. Oversees the annual application process, payments, and license issuance.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Supplemental course work in clerical or accounting field desired.
- One year of clerical, accounting, municipal, or related experience is required
- Previous cash handling experience strongly desired.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Outlook, and Excel). Previous experience or the ability
- Valid driver’s license required.
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary for the position will be $20.34 per hour. The City of DeKalb provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and prescription benefits, life insurance coverage, HSA & flexible spending accounts, deferred compensation and participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
City of DeKalb
Location164 E. LINCOLN HIGHWAY DEKALB
DeKalb, IL 60115
How to apply
Please visit our website to view the full job description, hiring requirements, and application instructions.
Initial Review of applications will begin Tuesday, November 14, 2023. Position will remain open until filed.
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.