Accountant | Village of Hinsdale
Posted on Jun 21, 2022
The Village of Hinsdale, IL (17,710) is seeking qualified candidates to fill the full-time position of Accountant. Hinsdale is a historic and beautiful community with a thriving and charming downtown and architecturally distinct homes. Hinsdale is home to nationally recognized schools and a downtown that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Located 20 miles west of Chicago in DuPage and Cook Counties, Hinsdale is a full-service community with a $48 million total budget and 99 full-time employees and 107 FTEs.
Under the general direction of the Assistant Finance Director, this position coordinates and performs assigned accounting duties and operations within the Finance Department; participates in team approach to coverage across various functional areas; and assists in the preparation of the annual budget and five-year capital improvement plan.
Salary Range is ($64,870 - $96,007) and our hiring range in $65,000 - $75,000 DOQ.
- Performs monthly reconciliations of bank and investment accounts and verifies bank balances with the general ledger.
- Responsible for the creation and data entry of journal entries required as part of the monthly financial closing process. Prepares adjusting and accrual entries in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles; prepares cash and investment, capital project, debt, interfund and operating transfer schedules; performs complex general ledger account reconciliations and analyses.
- Assists in the coordination of timely month-end and year-end closing of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, utility billing and general ledger computer systems. Reconciles subsidiary ledgers and accounting systems to the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Assists with the preparation of the monthly treasurer’s report, annual budget, and five-year capital improvement plan.
- Assists with the annual audit including the preparation of confirmations, work papers and required schedules and tables. Maintains fixed asset records and accounting schedules for all grant activity for the Village.
- Assists with Finance Department coverage in all functions, including but not limited to payroll, utility billing, ERP maintenance; cross trains as necessary.
- Provides exemplary customer service to both external Village customers as well as the operating departments of the Village.
- Collaborates with staff across the Village to gain efficiencies in work flow, implement process improvement, and to leverage the Village ERP.
- Provides assistance to the Finance Director and Assistant Finance Director as required; prepares and presents staff reports and other correspondence as necessary.
- Attends Village Board/Committee/Commission meetings as required, which may occur during evening hours.
- May participate on a variety of Village committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
The work environment includes an office setting. The noise level is usually quiet.
Regularly required to sit; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk and hear. Occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. May lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Must be able to use a computer and other office equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to research financial data and prepare reports with that data. Ability to perform detailed financial analysis and data interpretation.
- Frequent contact with Village residents, other Village employees, vendors, local businesses, other government agencies and the public; must be able to communicate verbally and demonstrate good customer relations.
- Ability to advise and provide interpretation regarding the application of policies, procedures and standards to Village personnel.
- Frequently prepares written reports; must be able to communicate in writing.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws pertaining to municipal finance administration.
- Working knowledge of municipal government operations.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and in a timely manner.
- Ability to learn, understand and adhere to all applicable safety precautions and procedures.
- Becomes familiar with and observes all applicable safety and security policies/procedures.
- Immediately reports all unsafe conditions and acts to supervisor.
- Reports all accidents to supervisor immediately.
- Obeys and adheres to all safety rules and work practices.
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university with three to five years of professional accounting/finance experience.
- Strong computer software skills required; must be proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word. Prior experience with the Tyler Munis ERP system is desired.
- Excellent file maintenance and organization skills required.
The position offers competitive health, dental and vision insurance benefits. The Village offers two deferred compensation plans as well as a post-employment health plan (PEHP). This position participates in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
Village of Hinsdale
Village of Hinsdale
Hinsdale, IL 60521
How to apply
The selection process includes an application process, interview process, drug screening and background check.
The position is open until filled. The position is expected to be filled as soon as the interview process and background checks are completed.
Interested candidates should submit an application, resume and a cover letter to the Village of Hinsdale, Village Manager’s Office, Attn: Human Resources, 19 E. Chicago Hinsdale, IL 60521, e-mail: email@example.com. Visit www.villageofhinsdale.org/jobs for a job application and to view the job description. The Village is an EOE employer.
|Village of Hinsdale
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.