Staff Accountant | Deerfield Park District
Posted on Apr 21, 2021 and will remain open until filled.
Staff Accountant (Full-Time)
Are you an accounting professional seeking a full-time work schedule and a variety of responsibilities? Our Staff Accountant role is an integral position within the Finance Department at the Deerfield Park District. It will allow you the opportunity to showcase and implement your accounting knowledge and work within a fun, mission-based organization. The role requires an energetic, collaborative individual who has an eye for detail and enjoys making a positive impact on all park district departments. Applicants looking to work in a unique environment where you can make a daily difference in people’s lives should apply!
Who we are?
The Deerfield Park District was formed in 1951 with a mission to provide outstanding parks, services, facilities, and recreation programs that enrich lives, promote healthy living, and improve memorable experiences. The Park District has over 25 parks and facilities including the Deerfield Golf Club, Sachs Recreation Center, Patty Turner Center, Jewett Park Community Center, Mitchell Pool and Deerspring Pool. The Park District employs an average of 300 staff with over 500 seasonally. The District has a credit rating of Aaa from Moody’s Investors Service and is an IAPD/IPRA Illinois Distinguished Accredited Agency. For additional information visit us at www.deerfieldparks.org.
What is the opportunity?
Under the leadership of the Director of Finance, the Staff Accountant is responsible for agency support in the areas of accounting, finance, banking, budgeting, payroll, financial analysis, and other related areas. The major emphasis of this position will be assisting with the daily operations of the Finance Department. The position has growth potential into a supervisor role.
Key responsibilities include:
• Processes bi-weekly payroll including earnings/deduction changes and expense reimbursements.
• Prepares bi-weekly payroll reports.
• Reviews and approves quarterly payroll tax reports.
• Maintains the human resources information system (HRIS) and serves as point of contact for system administration and reporting.
• Research and resolve payroll, payroll tax and other payroll accounting related matters.
• Process and record payroll related deductions and remittances including health insurance, FSA, retirement program, pension, and life insurance.
• Process annual payroll related forms and records including: W-2, 1094-C, 1095-C, sick time payouts, and wellness program payouts.
• Complete annual workers compensation audit.
• Responsible for daily and monthly accounting reconciliation of revenue and cash receipts for all Park District facilities. Updates the daily cash receipts spreadsheet. Performs semi-monthly revenue import into the accounting system. Performs monthly earned income process in the registration system.
• Research and manage patron household balances (receivables and credit balances) and reporting in the registration system. Direct contact and patron interaction as it relates to balances.
• Tracks program and facility refunds due patrons and processes checks and credit card refunds.
• Processes various monthly credit card and ACH transactions.
• Performs cash audits (petty cash, cash drawers, etc.) at Park District facilities.
• Maintains a thorough understanding of general ledger, payroll, and revenue codes.
• Maintain mapping and interface between payroll and accounting systems.
• Assist with the month end close process including journal entries, account reconciliations and preparation of financial reports.
• Audits and reconciles balance sheet accounts monthly.
• Assist with internal control procedures throughout the Park District.
• Prepares monthly Board of Commissioner reports in conjunction with the Director of Finance.
• Records miscellaneous cash receipts into the registration software, prepares deposits and processes corresponding journal entries.
• Responsible for the Deerfield Park Foundation accounting: record and deposit incoming cash, record journal entries, prepare Board reports.
• Lead agency compliance with the Records Retention Act.
• Responsible for unclaimed property - reviews stale dated checks and contacts payees for re-issue of checks.
• Assists Director of Finance in daily, monthly, and annual financial projects, including budget preparation and the annual audit.
• Develops and implements programs to train staff in proper procedures affecting the Finance Department.
What qualifications are needed?
• A bachelor’s degree in accounting
• Minimum five years of related experience.
• Knowledge of general ledger, cash receipts processing, payroll processing, HR processes, bank reconciliation, and accounts payable.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, including Word and Excel. Knowledge or ability to learn in-house software applications (e.g., Incode accounting, RecTrac registration, Paycor HRIS).
Scheduling, pay and benefits
The Staff Accountant is a full-time exempt position working 40 hours per week. Target hiring range is $55,000 to $60,000 dependent upon qualifications and experience. This position is eligible for a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, IMRF pension, paid time off, wellness incentive program, and discounts on Park District programs. The schedule is Monday through Friday approximately 8:00 to 5:00.
Position is open until filled. Please apply early as recruiting and interviewing will begin immediately.
Deerfield Park District
836 Jewett Park Drive
Deerfield, IL 60015
How to apply
Apply online at: http://www.deerfieldparks.org/jobs/
|Deerfield Park District
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.