Director of Finance | Village of Huntley
Posted on Mar 17, 2023 and will remain open until filled.
The Village of Huntley is seeking an innovative, collaborative, and experienced leader to serve as its next Director of Finance. The current Director is set to retire before the end of the 2nd quarter of 2024 after 30 years of public service, with the last 6 years at the Village. This is a unique opportunity to work along side the current Director of Finance for 6-12 months, and make a difference in an active and growing community. CLICK HERE TO VIEW RECRUITMENT BROCHURE
The Village of Huntley is a home-rule community of approximately 30,000 residents located in southern McHenry and northern Kane County. Located 45 miles northwest of Chicago at the crossroads of Interstate 90 and Route 47, Huntley is among the fastest-growing communities in the region. With a thriving downtown and prominent industries in healthcare and manufacturing, the population has increased over 300% since 2000.
Huntley is a vibrant, growing community and is proud to have a stable economic environment. Fiscal responsibility and sound financial practices sustain Village operations and the services provided to the community. The Village's bond rating is AA+ with a stable outlook. The Fiscal Year 2023 budget is the largest in the Village's history, with $51.6 million in expenditures across 19 funds. 48% of the budget is dedicated to investing in the Village's infrastructure assets.
In 2022 Huntley saw continued significant growth with $200 million in new construction activity, sales tax revenue in excess of $7.9 million, and the EAV exceeding $1.1 billion. Transportation and infrastructure improvements, the addition of businesses such as Weber Grill, Northwestern Medicine Hospital, Amazon e-commerce and logistics operations, and a TIF district created to spur redevelopment of the downtown, has assisted in creating momentum and excitement in the downtown area and throughout the Village. The Village provides a full range of services, including public safety (police), streets, water and wastewater, planning and zoning, building inspection, public improvements and general administrative services. Fire protection services are provided by a separate taxing body.
The Director of Finance acts as Treasurer and reports to the Village Manager. The Director of Finance plans and administers the activities of the Finance Department which include responsibility for the Village's financial planning and long term forecasting, budgeting, accounting/auditing, debt management, tax levy, revenue administration, treasury management, payroll, utility billing, collections and purchasing. The Finance Director is an integral part of the executive management team participating in capital planning, fiscal policy, collective bargaining and economic development.
Additional responsibilities of the Director of Finance include:
Leadership & Organization Direction:
• Keeps Village Manager advised of the financial condition and future needs of the Village and develops financial
plans necessary to forecast, estimate and monitor the financial condition of the Village to assure the Village's
• Engages departments in establishing/managing project plans, objectives and performance measures to meet
strategic goals and objectives.
• Participates in preparing departmental agenda and agenda materials and participates in discussions with the Village Manager, taking appropriate financial action as required.
Strategic Planning & Budget/Financial Administration:
• Provides financial policy guidance for the development and review of budget requests and program proposals.
• Works with departments to prepare the annual budget and is responsible for its administration after adoption.
• Oversees budgetary execution and control and recommends or approves budgetary adjustments in keeping with the Village's strategic direction.
• Establishes and maintains internal control procedures to ensure that standard accounting procedures are followed.
• Develops, recommends, and administers investment strategies for village funds, including operating reserves and pension fund assets, in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
• Manages village-wide debt planning, issuance, and administration and makes recommendations to the Village Manager on the appropriate use of debt for capital financing.
• Oversees the administration of the Police Pension fund.
• Supervise the collection of taxes, fees and other receipts in accordance with laws and regulations.
Performance Management and Workforce Planning, Engagement & Development:
• Selects, aligns, and integrates key performance data to track organizational performance consistent with the Village's strategic goals.
• Advises the Village Manager regarding financial and legislative matters, suggesting actions that should be taken for the betterment of the community.
• Fosters an organizational culture of high performance and a motivated workforce to be more effective in communications while encouraging diverse ideas, cultures and thinking.
• Manage and supervise Finance Department operations to achieve goals; plan and organize workloads and staff
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor's degree with major coursework in business, finance, accounting or closely related field
• At least five years of senior leadership level financial management experience, at least three of which must
be in a managerial capacity.
• Master's degree in accounting, business or public administration or CPA certification
• Municipal or public sector financial management
• Experience managing at a Department Head or Assistant Department Head Level
• Have a thorough understanding of finance and accounting principles, practices and methods as applicable to municipal finance operations, fund accounting systems and internal control requirement, GASB as applicable to municipal finance, financial reporting requirements for regulatory agencies, ordinances, resolutions and regulations affecting municipal finance operations
• Possess exceptional leadership skills; have a team oriented management style and be highly collaborative
• Be an excellent communicator with the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both orally and in writing
• Demonstrate strong analytical and critical thinking skills
• Be a strategic thinker able to identify opportunities for innovation, and is a creative problem solver
• Ensure the integrity and accuracy of the Village's financial data
• Work closely with the Village Manager to exercise extensive interdepartmental collaboration and view other department leaders/staff as internal customers
• Possess a solid background in all aspects of municipal finance, coupled with a general understanding of Village operations
• Personify the Village's values of friendliness, teamwork, public engagement, respect, integrity, professionalism, and innovation
Village of Huntley
Location10987 Main Street
Huntley, IL 60142
How to apply
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit an application online, including a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references at:
This position will be open until filled, with applications being considered as they are received. Finalists will be invited for on-site interviews.
For additional information on this position, please contact Chrissy Hoover, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com or (847) 515-5231.
Learn more about the Village of Huntley by visiting www.huntley.il.us
|Village of Huntley
Director of Finance
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.