Director of Finance / Village Treasurer | Village of Fox Lake
Posted on Aug 14, 2019 and open until Sep 13, 2019.
The Director of Finance / Village Treasurer is responsible for Village Finances. The Director of Finance is responsible for the coordination and supervision of staff that executes daily and long-term financial operations such as invoicing, utility billing, payroll, bank reconciliations, journal entries, accounts payable, accounts receivable and cash receipting. The Director of Finance/Village Treasurer is responsible for financial reporting, long-term financial planning, investment portfolios, the annual audit and CAFR preparation, and works closely with Administration to prepare the annual budget.
Reports to and works under the general direction of the Village Administrator.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Responsible for the coordination and supervision of Finance Department staff that processes utility billing, payroll, bank reconciliations, journal entries, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash receipts;
- Coordinates and works with auditors for annual independent audit and development of the CAFR;
- Maintains fixed asset register and depreciation schedule;
- Provides leadership and direction in the development of short and long range financial plans;
- Gathers, interprets, and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations;
- Coordinates department activities with other departments and agencies as needed;
- Provides professional advice to the organization; makes presentations to supervisor, boards, commissions, civic groups and the general public when requested by the Village Administrator;
- Assures that assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget;
- Performs cost control activities; monitors revenues and expenditures in assigned area to assure sound fiscal control;
- Prepares annual budget requests;
- Establishes and maintains internal control procedures and assures that state and national standard accounting procedures are maintained;
- Collects taxes, fees, and other receipts in accordance with laws and regulations;
- Maintains financial records and prepares financial reports;
- Develops financial studies, cost-benefit analysis, and plans as requested;
- Forecasts, estimates, and monitors the financial condition of the Village;
- Serves as the Village’s appointed Treasurer;
- Trains, mentors, and supervises the Finance staff;
- Manages budget preparation and execution;
- Performs posting and reconciliation of ledgers and accounts;
- Prepares State and Federal reports, including tax reports;
- Administers payroll processing including taxes and deductions;
- Manages utility billing and other billing processes;
- Responsible for the cash management and investment of Village funds in compliance with the Village’s investment policy;
- Develops finance-related ordinances, resolutions and develops corresponding Board Reports;
- Administers Village purchasing policies;
- Provides analysis for union negotiations as requested;
- Attends Village Board and Police Pension meetings;
- All other duties as assigned by the Village Administrator.
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from a four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, public administration, or a related field, including or supplemented by four to six years’ experience in finance, including supervisory or management experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the following knowledge, ability and skills.
Master Degree and/or CPA preferred.
Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment physical examination and drug/alcohol screen following a conditional offer of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
A candidate for this position should have the following:
SKILL IN AND ABILITY TO:
- Considerable knowledge of modern governmental accounting theory, principles, and practices;
- Knowledge of internal control procedures and management information systems;
- Knowledge of office automation and computerized financial applications;
- Knowledge of public finance and fiscal planning;
- Knowledge of payroll and accounts payable functions;
- Working knowledge of budgetary, accounting and reporting systems, preparing CAFRs & compliance with GAAP, GASB principles and GFOA statements;
- Skill in operating Microsoft Office, ERP system, general office equipment, telephone and more;
- Ability to prepare and analyze complex financial reports;
- Ability to maintain efficient and effective financial systems and procedures;
- Ability to effectively supervise staff;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other employees, and Village officials;
- Ability to share information, cross-train, and ensure financial transparency both internally, and externally;
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
CONTACTS OUTSIDE OF DEPARTMENT
This position frequently interacts with employees, residents, elected officials, business owners, and other members of the public.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by any employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in a general office environment. The employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time. This position is expected to use discretion and take initiative in certain situations, but to know when to seek assistance when dealing with a wide range of work situations and responsibilities. This position represents the Village when interacting with citizens, business owners, developers, contractors and public officials. An individual in this position is frequently required to sit, walk, stand and on occasion, may need to lift, carry, push or pull objects, up to 40 pounds. There is frequent twisting, kneeling, squatting, reaching, wrist turning and grasping. Work sometimes generates certain levels of stress and requires working under pressure.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment. Employee is required to use cognitive ability to reason, analyze and verbalize thoughts and ideas.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT USED
Telephone, personal computer, Microsoft Office Suite of Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint), ten (10) key calculator and adding machine, printer, fax, copy machine, scanner, binding equipment, laminating machine, paper cutter, paper punch, tape recorder, multi-level file cabinets and general office equipment.
SALARY AND BENEFIT PACKAGE
Starting Salary Range: $110,000 - $125,000 based on qualifications
Benefits Package: Comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Full-time, exempt position
Village of Fox Lake
66 Thillen Dr
Fox Lake, IL 60020
How to apply
All qualified candidates should submit a completed job application (blank application located on the Village of Fox Lake’s website at http://www.foxlake.org/jobs.aspx), cover letter, resume, and a list of three (3) professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate (Job ID #19-08) in the subject line. Hard copies (mailed, faxed, or hand delivered) applications will be
Position is open until filled. First review of applications will be September 13, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Human Resources Division at 847-587-3971.
The Village of Fox Lake is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
|Village of Fox Lake
Director of Finance / Village Treasurer
|Fox Lake, IL|
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.