Senior Accountant | Village of Hinsdale
Posted on Jan 6, 2020 and will remain open until filled.
POSITION: Senior Accountant
DATE: January 6, 2020
DEPARTMENT: Finance & Administration
REPORTS TO: Assistant Finance Director
PAY GRADE: M104 ($69,940 - $103,512)
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Under the general direction of the Assistant Finance Director, this position coordinates and performs assigned accounting duties and operations within the Finance Department; assists in the administration of the Village’s enterprise resource planning (ERP) system; assists in the preparation of the annual budget and five-year capital improvement plan; oversees payroll and utility billing functions.
Oversees the payroll and utility billing functions.
- Performs monthly reconciliations of bank and investment accounts and verifies bank balances with the general ledger.
- Responsible for the creation and data entry of journal entries required as part of the monthly financial closing process. Prepares adjusting and accrual entries in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles; prepares cash and investment, capital project, debt, interfund and operating transfer schedules; performs complex general ledger account reconciliations and analyses.
- Assists in the coordination of timely month-end and year-end closing of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, utility billing and general ledger computer systems. Reconciles subsidiary ledgers and accounting systems to the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Assists with the preparation of the monthly treasurer’s report, annual budget, and five-year capital improvement plan.
- Assists with the annual audit including the preparation of confirmations, work papers and required schedules and tables. Maintains fixed asset records and accounting schedules for all grant activity for the Village.
- Assists with the maintenance, modification, operation, and implementation of assigned module(s) on the Village’s ERP system; identifies and resolves ongoing functional and technical issues; coordinates and tests system modifications; recommends operational and procedural changes to the system as necessary.
- Provides technical support on ERP system issues to end users; responds to end user requests for information on system use; investigates, troubleshoots and resolves end user problems; develops, coordinates, and tests system modifications to address user needs; maintains system and end user documentation and procedures.
- Possesses a strong working knowledge of the payroll and utility billing operations and oversees these two essential functions.
- Provides regular customer service to both external Village customers as well as the operating departments of the Village.
- Provides assistance to the Finance Director and Assistant Finance Director as required; prepares and presents staff reports and other correspondence as necessary.
- Attends Village Board/Committee/Commission meetings as required, which may occur during evening hours.
- May participate on a variety of Village committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
The work environment includes an office setting. The noise level is usually quiet.
Regularly required to sit; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk and hear. Occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. May lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Must be able to use a computer and other office equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to research financial data and prepare reports with that data. Ability to perform detailed financial analysis and data interpretation.
- Frequent contact with Village residents, other Village employees, vendors, local businesses, other government agencies and the public; must be able to communicate verbally and demonstrate good customer relations.
- Ability to advise and provide interpretation regarding the application of policies, procedures and standards to Village personnel.
- Frequently prepares written reports; must be able to communicate in writing.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws pertaining to municipal finance administration.
- Working knowledge of municipal government operations.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and in a timely manner.
- Ability to learn, understand and adhere to all applicable safety precautions and procedures.
- Becomes familiar with and observes all applicable safety and security policies/procedures.
- Immediately reports all unsafe conditions and acts to supervisor.
- Reports all accidents to supervisor immediately.
- Obeys and adheres to all safety rules and work practices.
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university with three to five years of professional accounting/finance experience. Master’s degree and/or CPA preferred.
- Strong computer software skills required; must be proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word. Prior experience with the Tyler Munis ERP system is desired.
- Excellent file maintenance and organization skills required.
The position offers competitive health, dental and vision insurance benefits. The Village offers two deferred compensation plans as well as a post-employment health plan (PEHP). This position participates in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
Village of Hinsdale
19 E Chicago Ave
Hinsdale, IL 60521
How to apply
The selection process includes an application process, interview process, drug screening and background check.
The position is open until filled. The position is expected to be filled as soon as the interview process and background checks are completed.
Interested candidates should submit an application, resume and a cover letter to the Village of Hinsdale, Village Manager’s Office, Attn: Human Resources, 19 E. Chicago Hinsdale, IL 60521, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.villageofhinsdale.org/jobs for a job application. The Village is an EOE employer.
|Village of Hinsdale
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.