Assistant Finance Director | Village of Round Lake Beach
Posted on Sep 27, 2021 and will remain open until filled.
This is a career professional position requiring academic preparation and local government experience (preferred) in accounting to meet the financial objectives and challenges of the Village of Round Lake Beach. The position serves as the second in command of the Village Finance Director and regularly engages in analysis under the direction of the Director of Finance to meet operational objectives of the Administrative team and the policy objectives of the Village Board.
Acts as Finance Director when needed. Comply with all safety procedures and policies of the Village; perform special assignments and other duties as requested. Perform routine municipal accounting tasks and process analysis. Assists in the supervision and evaluation of staff in the Finance Department. Acts as Finance Director’s designee for personnel issues and decision making in the absence of the Director.
CORE ACCOUNTING ISSUES INCLUDE:
Maintain general and subsidiary ledgers, accounting records and internal controls for Village Funds. Preparation of various statements and reports; preparation of journal entries; perform monthly close and related entries; prepare multiple bank reconciliations; audit multiple aspects of payroll; assist in utility billing functions; meeting the accounting needs of the Village under the direction of the Finance Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The duties listed below are considered to be the basic duties for which this position was created, and which cannot be transferred to another position without disruption of the flow or process of work.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Review and reconcile general ledger, control accounts, subsidiary ledgers, encumbrances and budgetary accounts;
- Advise accounting staff and review Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and bank reconciliation processing;
- Guide administrative receptionist and review utility billing and daily cash balancing;
- Assist with management of customer service staff;
- Prepare monthly journal entries;
- Assist with the annual independent audit including preparation of schedules and adjusting journal entries;
- Review incentive agreements and other contracts for compliance;
- Prepare various financial reports, ledgers and written communications as required, using word processing, spreadsheet, and fund accounting software;
- Maintain and reconcile accounting records, including motor fuel tax, TIF Districts, business districts, payroll;
- Perform highly complex and varied tasks, such as the analysis of investment funds, which requires thorough knowledge of finance, accounting procedures and the exercise of independent judgement;
- Conduct special studies requiring the application of research skills and perform surveys of the business community, general public, and other municipalities;
- Review Village accounting procedures and make recommendations to improve internal control, assure conformity to policies and increase effectiveness;
- Compile detailed accounting reports for various Federal, State and County agencies;
- Maintain cost and related records on major construction and maintenance projects;
- Assist, advise, and confer with other department personnel in the performance of various practices associated with budgeting, expenditures, document preparation, and other accounting functions;
- Process Miscellaneous Accounts Receivable invoices and related tasks;
- Maintain confidential information and uses discretionary judgement in processing information at all times;
- Support the needs of the Village under the direction of the Finance Director for research, analysis, on fiscal performance and regional trends;
- Assist in the development and reporting of the annual and capital budgets.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The duties of this job description are office-based, requiring the application of a high level of confidentiality, discretionary judgment, communication, and technical computer skills. This job is categorized as sedentary work which involves sitting most of the time. Manual dexterity is required for long periods of computer typing. The Assistant Finance Director may be required to occasionally carry, lift, or move up to 25 pounds. Strenuous physical activity is not an essential component. Travel is not essential to this position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements:
Requires thorough knowledge of municipal accounting methods, principles, and techniques. Requires thorough knowledge of financial software applications and computer utilization. Requires ability to supervise a wide variety of detailed financial activities. Requires ability to make public presentations and interact with Village officials, department heads, employees, and the public. Requires ability to supervise and evaluate personnel. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, Village staff, and external agencies. Ability to analyze data and prepare clear and accurate presentations, reports, and informational materials. Requires knowledge of the laws and ordinances governing municipal accounting, budgetary planning and control, and financial reporting. Requires extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of public finance administration including accounting, budgeting, collection, investments, payroll administration, purchasing and the maintenance of related records.
Qualifications / Requirements:
Education and/or experience: Requires at least an Associate’s degree in accounting, (a bachelor’s degree in accounting is preferred) or a closely related field of study and strong working knowledge of municipal finance. Three years Management or Supervisory experience is preferred.
Attendance Requirements: Full time attendance is required for this position. Hours must be meet between Monday and Friday 8:00am-5:00pm and be available to flex schedule to attend evening or weekend meetings.
Machines, Equipment, Software: Thorough knowledge of personal computer, printer/copier/scanner, fax machine, calculator, phone, Microsoft Office Suite and various other computer software programs. BS&A fund accounting software experience is a plus.
Requires skills in communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing. Ability to work well with others in a team-oriented environment.
Requires a professional, well organized, self-motivated individual who is capable of working independently and is detail and deadline oriented.
Professional in appearance and conduct.
Subject to background check, credit check, and drug screen.
Salary $80k-95k DOQ
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties or responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
The Village of Round Lake Beach is an equal opportunity employer.
Village of Round Lake Beach
1937 N Municipal Way
Round Lake Beach, 0 60073
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should provide a statement of interest and resume via email or US mail to:
Ms. Catherine Weinzierl
Human Resources Manager
Village of Round Lake Beach
1937 Municipal Way
Round Lake Beach, IL 60073
|Village of Round Lake Beach
Assistant Finance Director
|Round Lake Beach, 0|
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. IGFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.